• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A at Mechanicsburg

Milbikes

Lucky me, I just won the bid on a MEP-701A genset at Mechanicsburg, PA. I wasn't able to find any hours for loadout in the listing. It was a last second bid, so I didn't have time to call with loadout time questions. Does anyone have experience at Mechanicsburg? It is a time of the year when I can't take any time off from work during the week, so I hope I can pick up on a Saturday....

If not, is anyone near there available to haul it to their place for a Saturday pickup by me? I'd be willing to compensate somehow.

Third point... Does anyone from CT or MA or RI need to pick one up? I prefer having a co-pilot on long drives. I am in CT.

I apologize for posting similar questions in different places...time is ticking away. H.

Timeline98

Mep

Hey H,
I won a MEP-002A in Chambersburg and am planning on picking up maybe late next week. I would have to measure to see if I can get both in my 8' bed. I do have a roll cover and liftgate so I'll measure the actual box length, minus the MEP2 and see what kind of room is left. Yours may fit sideways. Should have 10 days for pickup @ GL.
Keith

Harleyd315

Im in NJ and have an appt for next Tuesday to pick up a few mep002 ,if getting it to NJ helps. Get me the dimensions so I can figure how to load it. You also have to make an appt to pick up and get a signed authorization paper for someone else to pick up your items.

Milbikes

Thanks!

Thanks to a member here, who will be helping me out greatly, I should be all over this generator soon. Hopefully I will be able to help out in a similar way some time. H.

Milbikes

BIG help from a member here. Thanks!

I want to give a big THANKS to Timeline98 for picking up my MEP-701A this week in Mechanicsburg, and dropping it off to me. I got to check out his new MEP-002A at the same time, and I have to say, it looks brand new!

I made a dual Walmart 12v lawn tractor battery in series setup for my MEP-701A, added fresh fuel and oil, and it started right up! Yeah! I was able to run a drill off the convenience outlets on the front. The L1 leg inside looks like it got some damage to the threads from arcing, so I have not been able to hook up hard-wired power yet. Can I get a new lug at an electrical supply place? Is there a die I could run over it to clean the threads? If so, what size is it?

I have to say, this is a great forum, with a great bunch of folks, willing to help out somebody they never met. I hope to be able to do the same, and pay it forward.

Thanks again. Hal

Timeline98

MEP Help.

Hey Hal,

Glad I could help. Its great to hear that thing fired right up for you!
As far as that Load terminal goes, maybe you could swap the L1 and L2 lugs around unless you're going to run it 3 phase as that wouldn't help. If you run it single phase, you won't need L2, so if the bad lug is there, it's not a big deal. Now I haven't looked at the back side of that lug, but I would check it out before looking for dies and stuff. The back side of the terminal should be just a ring lug on the wire where you could easily swap the terminals around. Let me know what you work out.

Take Care,
-Keith

Last edited:

Milbikes

It starts right up, and I have tested voltage at the convenience outlets on the panel with a meter, and with my 1400 watt heat gun. Using the heat gun makes a slight change in engine sound, and shows around 45% to 49% load on the dial. I checked voltage at the wiring terminals inside and also have current there.

The only issue I see so far is that the frequency meter needle is erratic, either being pegged at the top, or dropping to the bottom, and only occasionally setting at 60-62 (while set is running).

Also, when I use the throttle setting knob, I don't hear much change at all in RPM.....just a little.

My gas powered Generac generator has one feature I wish the MEP had...the automatic idle when there is no load. There is probably a reason why the MEP was not designed with one. I am no electrical engineer..... H.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks