• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701A output

kipman

I have read on here somewhere that a 701A will not put out 240V in single phase, but there is a fix, can not seem to be able to find the thread, anybody remember that one?

Isaac-1

Well that is a complicated one. It will put out 240V single phase, what it may not put out is 120/240V split single phase (common household power), I say may not as it has been noted by multiple people that both the wiring diagram in the manual and the one inside the top cover have mistakes, also out of a sample of several MEP-701a's and MEP-016b's it seems most are wired to output 120/240V single phase when the voltage selector was set to 240V single phase. So before you go trying to add an L0 jumper it is best to measure the output lugs on your unit in 240V single phase mode. (note the jumper is needed to get 120/240V single phase on MEP-016A's, C's and D's, but maybe not on B's and E's)

Ike

Last edited:

ETN550

Well that is a complicated one. It will put out 240V single phase, what it may not put out is 120/240V split single phase (common household power), I say may not as it has been noted by multiple people that both the wiring diagram in the manual and the one inside the top cover have mistakes, also out of a sample of several MEP-701a's and MEP-016b's it seems most are wired to output 120/240V single phase when the voltage selector was set to 240V single phase. So before you go trying to add an L0 jumper it is best to measure the output lugs on your unit in 240V single phase mode. (note the jumper is needed to get 120/240V single phase on MEP-016A's, C's and D's, but maybe not on B's and E's)

Ike
Right on, Ike. Each machine must be inspected to see how it is wired in order to fully answer the question.

The machines as designed are fully floating meaning none of the generator outputs are grounded internally. The manual is written for this instance and calls for grounding the L2 for both 120 and 240 single phase.

HOWEVER, Many machines have been modified and will already have L0 grounded to the generator frame. In this case NEVER ground any other terminal without first removing the L0 Ground wire to frame.

To determine if L0 is grounded open up the control box (Best if the top panel is removed on a 701A so the control box face and lid can be fully opened up) and look for a large white 10 gage wire connected to the backside of the L0 terminal inside the box. That wire, if present, will run through the bottom of the control box in the right rear corner and exit down to the main frame ground on the bottom of the skid.

If the set has L0 grounded as stated above then the 240 single phase setting on the unit will produce 240 between L1 and L2 and also produce 120 between L1/L0 and 120 between L2/L0 exactly like a breaker panel in a house

I have not yet seen a set without the ground modification so I cannot say what other changes were made along with grounding L0, if any. I am only stating how the sets with the L0 ground wire are configured.

Checking the outputs at the L0, L1, L2, L3 terminals against each other, with a meter and also checking against the frame ground will also give an indication of the wiring. Proceed with caution.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bump? do you have a bump on your head? He just told you all you need to know.:roll:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He is not the brightest, so I would imagine that he could NOT comprehend what was stated.

Sorry little buddy, truth hurts don't it.:gimp2:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks