• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-701a

FloridaAKM

I have a MEP-701A genset I got from a fellow member last summer. The battery finally quit cranking it last weekend, so I placed an order with NAPA for a new one. They just called & said it was in so I can go pick it up! When I inquired about the final price................I almost dropped the phone...$285.00! I figured half that when I ordered it, but gee whizzz..................:-?

Triple Jim

It might be worth asking if they can help you with that price a bit. I once bought a propane fork lift starting battery, and just for asking, I got the "net" price that took it from something like $120 to $80.

Gunzy

Is it a single 24volt battery? If so see if you have enough room to use 2 12volt batteries instead. My batteries went bad on my MEP804A, instead of using the BIG batteries like in the 5 tons (6TN) I put in 2 group 24s for $55 ea and a small mod to the hold down bracket. It starts just fine. I also bought a 24v battery tender from Amazon for $78 to keep batteries topped.

Isaac-1

It is not so easy to convert to a pair of 12V batteries on the MEP-701a as you have to modify the battery tray and the cover panel to make them fit.

FloridaAKM

I did all the research from here on the battery problem before deciding to go back the single battery route. $185.00 was the worst case price imagined, not $285.00. After a bit of discussion with the sales guy, they gave me an industrial account price since I buy all our NAPA supplies for the plant there; that price was $250.00, a little better, but still out of sight for me!

Before installing the battery, I will check the charging system to make sure I don't cook the new battery due to a bad voltage regulator!

Isaac-1

When you check it run it for a bit, I had an overcharging problem that cooked my first battery on my MEP-701a, but it would not start over charging until the generator had ran a few minutes. Thankfully the new style "southern automotive" voltage regulators look completely different from the old ones, just the mounting holes line up, so hopefully the new one will not be as failure prone.

FloridaAKM

Picked up the battery an hour ago, but the counter guy would not let me see it till he took it out to the truck. Once there, I pulled off the box top & it is the correct battery with two bags of screw on caps & yellow tape on the cell tops. After asking if it has acid in it, he says of course, why would they send you a dry battery. Looking down inside of the battery after pulling off the yellow tape, sure enough, no acid...just dry plates. Back to see the manager about acid that now he wants to sell me, they have a conference in the office. Due to the price, they give me 3 quarts of acid & send me on my way. I might want to get another NAPA store.
The battery is molded in large raised letters "US" on the side with a big sticker that it is not to be exported by ITAR laws unless you have an approved permit. It is manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing Co in Sept 2014. Maybe it should be put under glass in the living room to show guests a real military battery. If any one wants pictures, wait till Monday when they can be downloaded & posted!

Some stuff really makes no sense sometimes. Several weeks ago, the old 4HN battery was pulled & all the connections were cleaned. The battery was charged to cut off voltages & it would not do anything but click when you tried to start the generator. Just 5 minutes ago, with the charger on for 30 minutes, I tried to see if the genset would turn over with the old battery............it spun up & started like normal :-?.
Must be jealous since I spent all this money on a new battery....go figure!:roll:

Last edited:

cuad4u

I got two 701A's in a trade. I added longer battery cables and use two 420 amp garden tractor batteries ($40 each) in an external marine type plastic box. The box with the two batteries in it sits right beside the 701A. So far these batteries have lasted just over two years and start the generator in all kinds of temperatures. This works well unless you move the generator around a lot.

FloridaAKM

Okay, this morning I went out & cranked up the genset on the "ol dead battery". It cranked with no hesitation, so I let it run for 30 minutes under 40% load. The battery voltage at about 26.50v & was down to 24v after 15 minutes of running, so this tells me that the internal battery charging circuit is not working & there is no way the old battery is cooked. So, it is either repair/replace the old internal charger, or just keep it charged with an external charger when needed!

I still have new coffee table conversation piece until the original one really croaks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks