• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802/803 Fuel Supply Hose Replacement

fosgittr

Hello all, I need to replace a couple leaking fuel supply hoses that go from the tank pickup to the fuel pump, and from the water separator to the fuel filter. I am having trouble finding someone who can make replacement hoses with the JIC fittings. Has anyone replace these hoses with something else besides hydraulic hose and JIC fittings? Looking for ideas or suggestions that have worked. Thanks in advance.

Scoobyshep

Hello all, I need to replace a couple leaking fuel supply hoses that go from the tank pickup to the fuel pump, and from the water separator to the fuel filter. I am having trouble finding someone who can make replacement hoses with the JIC fittings. Has anyone replace these hoses with something else besides hydraulic hose and JIC fittings? Looking for ideas or suggestions that have worked. Thanks in advance.
Amazon hose. they make hydraulic hoses to your spec

BobbyT

On the few machines i have been refurbishing, I just have been cutting the factory hoses crimped ends off (takes a little work to not tear them up) and using the barbed ends with Gates 4219XL, 1/4" fuel line from Orielly's Auto Parts. I also use the fuel injection clamps instead of the worm drive ones, they hold better in my experience.

I also have been reusing the stainless hard line, as well as some new i bought to reroute the lines for my liking. I also have been removing the factory fuel filters and doing different filter setups. This current machine I've got a single filter base with Baldwin BF1212 water separating filter.
I relocate the oil pressure/dead crank switch plate up a few inches and mount the filter under it.

I cut the round banjo fitting off the factory hard line that feeds the injection pumps and just run the filter output onto the hard line. Also replace the 5" to 6" fuel lines from the hard line to the IP's as well as all the 1/8" return lines.

Here are a few pictures of what i have done.

tank area.jpgpump hard lines.jpgFilter area.jpgBanjo hard line.jpg

fosgittr

My local NAPA will do any hose I need. You got a Napa in town?
Low and behold, I found a NAPA store and they made up some new hoses for me in a jiffy. I really had never even paid attention enough to know they were there. They used a lower pressure rated hose than the original steel braided 3,000 PSI stuff. Thanks for the tip!!! And I will be going back to that NAPA.

fosgittr

On the few machines i have been refurbishing, I just have been cutting the factory hoses crimped ends off (takes a little work to not tear them up) and using the barbed ends with Gates 4219XL, 1/4" fuel line from Orielly's Auto Parts. I also use the fuel injection clamps instead of the worm drive ones, they hold better in my experience.

I also have been reusing the stainless hard line, as well as some new i bought to reroute the lines for my liking. I also have been removing the factory fuel filters and doing different filter setups. This current machine I've got a single filter base with Baldwin BF1212 water separating filter.
I relocate the oil pressure/dead crank switch plate up a few inches and mount the filter under it.

I cut the round banjo fitting off the factory hard line that feeds the injection pumps and just run the filter output onto the hard line. Also replace the 5" to 6" fuel lines from the hard line to the IP's as well as all the 1/8" return lines.

Here are a few pictures of what i have done.

View attachment 809700View attachment 809702View attachment 809703View attachment 809704
This is a good post. Goes to show you don't have to maintain everything exactly as originally designed. And in fact, this is a huge improvement over the PITA location for the water separator. Whoever engineered that location, and even worse the location of the fittings should be beaten with an oil filter wrench.

BobbyT

This is a good post. Goes to show you don't have to maintain everything exactly as originally designed. And in fact, this is a huge improvement over the PITA location for the water separator. Whoever engineered that location, and even worse the location of the fittings should be beaten with an oil filter wrench.
Thanks, I’m an engineer and it drives me nuts seeing things intentionally made complicated, so I try to do things better, within reason. 😉

Bluevic443

These fitting used on the fuel lines are reusable. Tighten the nut onto a fitting, with the other end of the hose disconnected, unscrew it (blue piece) in a counter clockwise direction. This will back out the ferrule from the tubing. The part left on the hose it’s screwed on with left hand threads, so turn it in a clockwise direction to remove it from the hose. 516F3AFB-B1F4-44F9-940F-4D59F1CF1EBB.jpeg
With a new hose of the same size, just reassemble in reverse order😎.

BobbyT

These fitting used on the fuel lines are reusable. Tighten the nut onto a fitting, with the other end of the hose disconnected, unscrew it (blue piece) in a counter clockwise direction. This will back out the ferrule from the tubing. The part left on the hose it’s screwed on with left hand threads, so turn it in a clockwise direction to remove it from the hose.
With a new hose of the same size, just reassemble in reverse order😎.
Yeah i tried to disassemble it on one of my first machines and it broke the barbed neck off so i stopped trying to do that. It was probably a weak one that had some corrosion or something, so I've been cutting the outer ferrule off instead. I'll try it again sometime.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The position is fine... its the method of assembly that sucks. If it was hand tightened and oiled like any rational adult would do, it would be a breeze to change.

nextalcupfan

I remember it took quite the effort to remove my filter.
Pretty sure it was the original from 2002, but I didn't have to remove the whole thing and put it in a vice. (Like I've read on here)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks