• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802/803 load bank info

Jeepadict

My searches come back with little to no related TM/TBs for load testing these units. I'm sure most load bank equipment has their own TM, but that's not what I'm looking for. I've done my best searching the maintenance TMs and Operator's manual to no avail.

Is there guidance specific to these units that tells us how much we should be loading them and for how long? TIA

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load testing usually consist of a start around 25% for half hour 50% for another 30 minutes , 75% for an hour, finish off at a 100% for maybe a 1/2 hour, All in all 4 hours is a good point for a whole test, imo, reading all status during the test, to confirm everything is Within parameters of the unit being tested, Amps, Htz, temp. etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jeepadict

Load testing usually consist of a start around 25% for half hour 50% for another 30 minutes , 75% for an hour, finish off at a 100% for maybe a 1/2 hour, All in all 4 hours is a good point for a whole test, imo, reading all status during the test, to confirm everything is Within parameters of the unit being tested, Amps, Htz, temp. etc.

Appreciate your knowledge.

So your description is quite similar-ish to others that I've read, and yet they all differ slightly in one way or another. Even in what you sent confuses me a smidge as you have 3 halves and a whole...well that doesn't add up to 4, haha.

The basis of my curiosity is, in what manual/TO/TM/TB is it written that the manufacturer (or the big green/blue machine) told us when/how to test them when they were in service? In 23+ years of military aviation, I never had a task to accomplish without it having a step-by-step guide in a book, or even when that didn't exist we had guidance from our Depot engineers that told us what needed to be done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I should have said ish for the amount of hours I presume you could figure out the terminology but I guess not

Jeepadict

Maybe I should have said ish for the amount of hours I presume you could figure out the terminology but I guess not

Please refrain from passive-aggressive insults as they are unnecessary and unwelcome. They do nothing to build a constructive community of shared knowledge. That sort of thing may be common on other sites, but not here, thank you.

I was only attempting to clarify my query as I'm seeking technical guidance, not opinion. I appreciate your input just the same.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just trying to help..... sorry to hurt your feelings ,
Have a great Father's Day

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer isn't really standardized since how much load and how long at each load should be based on what you are trying to do. If its routine run I'll do 15min each at 25%, 50%, 100%, 50%, 0%. If I'm in a hurry, I'll warm it up a bit then 50% for 15 min and 100% for 15 min.

If I'm clearing out a bunch of wetstacking, I run it (after warmed up) at as much load as it will handle till I get to full load then I let it run for 30 more min. Once its done I back it down over 30 or so minutes then shutdown.

There is not one perfect answer. More than anything I recommend getting up to full load for 15 min. The MEPs are prime rated sets so you can run them at 100% load for as long as you like. That is 100% actual load and not 100% on the load meter. 100% on the load meter is actually 120% load.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the machine is new to you, just get it up to operating temperature and step it up to 100% rated load at whatever interval works best for your days timing. Me? If its new, I get it to temp and have no issue getting it to max load ASAP... I only take my time if its new in my hands.

As designed, its capable (though not preferred) to be turned on and immediately be asked to make power. Its also designed to run at rated load its entire life... so don't hesitate to do that. The EGTs will be the highest at rated load, and all components are designed to handle that... don't be afraid to run it at full load for hours on end. No issues... either it will do it flawlessly, or it needs work.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please refrain from passive-aggressive insults as they are unnecessary and unwelcome. They do nothing to build a constructive community of shared knowledge. That sort of thing may be common on other sites, but not here, thank you.

I was only attempting to clarify my query as I'm seeking technical guidance, not opinion. I appreciate your input just the same.

I have no horse in the race, but I don't think he was tryin to come off that like. For whatever its worth.

Guyfang

Staff member
There is not a set schedule for load testing. The Reset standard, was something that they came up with, and that is for their program, no one else. The Factory load test form, was only good for the transfer of the machine to the Military. It was in effect, a "Quickie" test.

There is no place in a TM, or MWO, or TB, that I know of, with a schedule for putting a set on load. We used the document below, when I first started contracting. And I only used parts of it.

When I was on active, and doing 24/7, we used a load bank when the set told us it had a problem. Unstable hertz, was first and foremost. Radar systems hate unsteady hertz. Obvious signs of wet stacking, for example, "Slobber" running out of the exhaust system, slow reaction time, inability to hold a load, Kicking out the load, when the gen set would loose RPM, and things like that.

I think this document was also used by the reset, at one time before they decided to make something different.

Attachments

jmenende

I live in hot weather all year and load bank these units to 12-14kw right off the bat (10 seconds after start). Thats real world scenario for these units. If they are gonna leave my shop, they must pass this test and run for 1 hour at atleast at 12kw surging to 14kw. Thats also the best way to get that wet stacking issue resolved.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer isn't really standardized since how much load and how long at each load should be based on what you are trying to do. If its routine run I'll do 15min each at 25%, 50%, 100%, 50%, 0%. If I'm in a hurry, I'll warm it up a bit then 50% for 15 min and 100% for 15 min.

If I'm clearing out a bunch of wetstacking, I run it (after warmed up) at as much load as it will handle till I get to full load then I let it run for 30 more min. Once its done I back it down over 30 or so minutes then shutdown.

There is not one perfect answer. More than anything I recommend getting up to full load for 15 min. The MEPs are prime rated sets so you can run them at 100% load for as long as you like. That is 100% actual load and not 100% on the load meter. 100% on the load meter is actually 120% load.
Sorry, can you explain this further. On a 803A, If I'm pulling 52 amps resistive load at 220v. I'm at 100 % Load and showing 100% on meter . Right?. Thanks Larry

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, no. 52 amps resistive at 240v is 12.5 kw. The meter is calibrated for a 0.8 power factor. If you look at the gauge most of them have a red line at 80% which for a pure resistive load is your 100%.

Edit
If you have the voltage dialed down to 220v it’s 11.5kw.

Either way it’s over 100%.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, no. 52 amps resistive at 240v is 12.5 kw. The meter is calibrated for a 0.8 power factor. If you look at the gauge most of them have a red line at 80% which for a pure resistive load is your 100%.

Edit
If you have the voltage dialed down to 220v it’s 11.5kw.

Either way it’s over 100%.
Thanks that helpful, just trying to learn.

Why the 52 A rating on the plate ?
Wh

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are prime rated sets. That means they can be run at their full rated load indefinitely. The rated load is 10kw. The set can produce more power than that. That extra should be considered reserve power for transient events such as starting an inductive load. The 52 amps includes the reserve power Capacity.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are prime rated sets. That means they can be run at their full rated load indefinitely. The rated load is 10kw. The set can produce more power than that. That extra should be considered reserve power for transient events such as starting an inductive load. The 52 amps includes the reserve power Capacity.
Got it

Much appreciated

Larry

Dewie38

For those that are interested in how these sets were tested at the factory.
Seach for Mil Std 705 which is the standard for testing generator sets.
The spec limits for each size genset is different but this is the standard for test methods.
There are two test for load that come to mind they are method 608.1 and method 608.2.
Frequency and Voltage regulation, stability and transient response tests.
608.1 is considered short term the 608.2 is long term.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks