• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 802 briefly roared......

Jdvid2336

......and then died deader than fried chicken.

Just got my 802 started today. Ran rough the first couple of minutes then smoothed out considerably and I thought was doing fine.

Was fiddling with throttle/freq when about ten minutes of running it stalled and stopped.

Now have no power to anything- the main switch is not priming, no panel lights, no fault lights, dead crank gave just a brief turn then dead also.

Tried some trouble shooting.... dead crank, circuit breaker behind panel..... nothing obvious.

I am not an electrician. But I try. I have tried to trace and see where the power is coming off the batteries in to the panel but no luck.

Any and all ideas/advice is most welcome....

Thanks in advance.

Jdvid2336

Oh yes, I have a nice Fluke, used it to check that I was getting power at the convienience outlets just before the set died. Tell me what I can use it to check that will magically fix my genny. ;-)

Jdvid2336

I checked the dead crank and circuit breaker and emergency stop switch- those were my first suspects since everything went dead all at once. None of them are the culprit, unless I misread the manual somehow and did the tests wrong. Was hoping someone might have some guidance instead of me going through dozens of checks chasing this thing. Maybe a relay that brings in power to the panel?

Last edited:

Jdvid2336

Battery cables/clamps were right at the top to check- but...... they are all in good shape, I cleaned them thoroughly and snugged them down tight. I will check the non battery cable ends to be sure.

jamawieb

Check your main ground for the battery which is located on the bell housing above the starter. Also check the main battery connections on the starter.

Jdvid2336

It's a mirrorkull!!! I went back through and looked at all the main connections, nothing amiss I could see, cycled the dead crank/behind panel circuit breaker/emergency stop, and she came back to life. Cranked and ran her about 30 minutes- couple of wonky moments when the rpm's went up and down- probably the years worth of setting idle gunk burning off. I will go through it tomorrow and clean and rethighten all the main connections to hopefully make sure my "ghost" doesn't come back.

Thanks for the help.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a mirrorkull!!! I went back through and looked at all the main connections, nothing amiss I could see, cycled the dead crank/behind panel circuit breaker/emergency stop, and she came back to life. Cranked and ran her about 30 minutes- couple of wonky moments when the rpm's went up and down- probably the years worth of setting idle gunk burning off. I will go through it tomorrow and clean and rethighten all the main connections to hopefully make sure my "ghost" doesn't come back.

Thanks for the help.
Howdy,
The best thing you can do for the generator is to run it loaded for a few hours. Fresh diesel fuel and a additive, and loaded via the lugs at least 80% or more.

Keep a eye on the fuel return line for weeping.

Jdvid2336

That is the plan- for sure it has fresh fuel in it w/Lucas added. The fuel tank on it was surprisingly clean, just wiped it out and it was almost like new. Had a couple of 701's on the other hand were the tanks had 1/2" of nasty sludge in the bottom that required removing the tanks and pressure washing them.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to consider is if you didn't find a reason for the no power condition rest assured, it will be back. Be prepared to do more troubleshooting. Study the diagram and get familiar with it.