• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 Injector Pump Problem

tdfontaine

MEP-802 is cranking but not starting. The fuel filter was replaced and bled at the top of the filter housing. I cracked the lines at the top of both injector pumps and not getting any fuel out of either IP. Generator has been sitting for about 2-3 years and worked great before so I'm thinking something is gummed up and stuck.

Any suggestions on what to check?

jamawieb

Are you sure the fuel pump is working. The fuel pump will move fuel from the tank to the injector pumps. If the pickup pump is working and it truly is the injector pump, then you can remove the injection pumps and clean them easily. But don't take both pumps out at the same time, one must stay in the engine at all times.

tdfontaine

Thanks for the reply and the tip about removing both pumps. Yup, the fuel pump is working. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the pump output, switched to 'prime' and quickly got 30 psi. And it's getting that pressure at the fuel filter because I unscrewed the bleed bolt too far and it shot across the garage. Needless to say, this project has been one of the 'face palm' projects that was supposed to be quick.

One the of IPs is pulled and soaking in mineral spirits. I'm hoping that maybe it got gummed up with something and soaking it will free it up. I'll put it back together Monday night and see what happens.

tdfontaine

Finally got it running....kinda sorta. One at a time, I removed each IP and let in lacquer thinner for a few days until they became unstuck. I ran it for a couple of minutes and then shut it down to check oil and coolant levels. Now it's not restarting. I can kinda get it to start but then it shakes, seems like it's misfiring (I know, not a diesel term but only way I can describe it) and then it dies. I do notice it gets to about 58 HZ and then seems to die.

Now I'm onto troubleshooting another issue....maybe there is some air in IP or I have a dirty injector.

rustystud

Finally got it running....kinda sorta. One at a time, I removed each IP and let in lacquer thinner for a few days until they became unstuck. I ran it for a couple of minutes and then shut it down to check oil and coolant levels. Now it's not restarting. I can kinda get it to start but then it shakes, seems like it's misfiring (I know, not a diesel term but only way I can describe it) and then it dies. I do notice it gets to about 58 HZ and then seems to die.

Now I'm onto troubleshooting another issue....maybe there is some air in IP or I have a dirty injector.
You do realize that Lacquer Thinner will cause rubber 'O' rings to expand. So if you let the injection pumps set in it for days then you will have caused your 'O' rings to become like jelly.

jamawieb

You do realize that Lacquer Thinner will cause rubber 'O' rings to expand. So if you let the injection pumps set in it for days then you will have caused your 'O' rings to become like jelly.
I agree with rustysud, lacquer thinner should be used sparingly. I use a q-tip and shop towels that has just a little lacquer thinner on it, when cleaning pumps. Luckily these pumps are easy to disassemble and repair.

tdfontaine

I disassembled the top 'check valve' portion of the IP and didn't see any rubber parts. I did not disassemble the main part of the IP because it was gummed up and couldn't get it apart. I saw some other posts of 802 IPs getting soaked in lacquer thinner for a day or two so that is why I did what I did.

Was able to get it running again by bleeding the IPs a second time. Seems to run great now. Next step is to get a load on it and let it run for an hour or so.

jamawieb

I disassembled the top 'check valve' portion of the IP and didn't see any rubber parts. I did not disassemble the main part of the IP because it was gummed up and couldn't get it apart. I saw some other posts of 802 IPs getting soaked in lacquer thinner for a day or two so that is why I did what I did.

Was able to get it running again by bleeding the IPs a second time. Seems to run great now. Next step is to get a load on it and let it run for an hour or so.
Awesome, I was thinking there was 1 o-ring inside but I could be wrong. I'm glad you got it running.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be a "down in price" price range for you? They can already be picked up for less than a grand.
That varies a lot by region. Here in the south east under a grand means it will require a good bit of work to get running. Good running units with reasonable time on the clock are $2k and up on the open market. $1500-$1800 at auction.

Rebel635

All the ones i bought have been less than a grand and 3 of 5 needed filters and coolant and fired right up. Other two needed $20 in parts. A coolant hose and a fuel line. All had less than 200 hours after depot rebuild.