• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A ac circuit interrupter relay issue

Xlandscaper

sorry, it was Ametek not Magnetek.
We had issues with the Ametek contactors and had to replace them in the field with new Contact Industries.
The contacts do not make when the coil is energized.
The indicator light would come on and you would think the contacts were closed but there was some kind of inserts that would come unseated with the clunking of the contactor over some time. The whole insides would end up being shifted and not making contact.
So I shouldent even try to look for the original one? I should try and find the contact industries? Do u guys think theses companies/manufacturers would even deal with a 1 item sale?

Guyfang

Staff member
First off, try and type in the NSN into your browser. It will show several places you MIGHT find it. Check fleabay, I did, and found it 3-4 times. Try here in SS. Put a want add in, and mention that it fits just about everything in the world. Below is a list of what equipment uses this relay. So finding one can NOT be that hard. AND, if all else fails, yes, try the list of manufacturers.
AIRCRAFT, FA-18, A - D, E/F, G (GROWLER)
HELICOPTER, CH-53 D/E
HELICOPTER, H1 ALL VERSIONS
HELICOPTER, RH-53
GENERATOR, 10KW, TQG, TACTICAL QUIET FAMILY
RADAR SET, FIREFINDER (AN/TPQ-36)
AIRCRAFT, HORNET F/A-18
NAVY EXPEDITIONARY PROGRAMS
GENERATOR SET, 10KW, 60 HZ, SKID-MOUNTED (2ID), PU-669/AG

HELICOPTER, LAMPS MARK III, SH-60B
AIRCRAFT, HARR
GENERATOR SET, SKID-MTD-114A
IER AV-8B
GENERATOR SET, TACT QUIET, 10KW, 400HZ, MEP-813A
AIRCRAFT, HERCULES C-130F
GENERATOR, 30KW, TQG, TACTICAL QUIET FAMILY
HELICOPTER, SEAHAWK, H-60
AIRCRAFT, TOMCAT F-14
GENERATOR, 15KW, TQG, TACTICAL QUIET FAMILY
HELICOPTER, ADVANCE ATTACK, AH-1W
AIRCRAFT, HERCULES KC-130
AIRCRAFT, VIKING S-3B
ENGINE, AIRCRAFT T-700
MISSILE, AIR LAUNCH CRUISE (ALCM) AGM-86B
AIRCRAFT, HAWKEYE E-2C
HELICOPTER, MH-53E
HELICOPTER, CARRIER BASED ASW, SH-60F
HELICOPTER, UTILITY/SEARCH AND RECOVERY UH-1N
AIRCRAFT, ORION P-3
AIRCRAFT, C-2A (REPROCURED)
HELICOPTER, SEARCH AND RESCUE, HH-60H
HELICOPTER, SEA KING H-3
HELICOPTER, USCG SEARCH AND RESCUE, HH-60J
GENERATOR, 5KW, TQG, TACTICAL QUIET FAMILY
GENERATOR SET, 30 KW, 60 HZ, SKID-MOUNTED (3ID) (MEP-005A)
HELICOPTER, SEA KNIGHT H-46
SHIPBOARD MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT (MHE)

Xlandscaper

I did the fleabay search and won a used one for 100$. Who knows the condition of this thing... mine had only 40 hours and it failed and it looked brand new when I took it out. The fleabay one looks all scratched up and dusty so who the the **** knows, I guess I'll find out soon. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help

Xlandscaper

Update: Got my new (used) relay in the mail today! Before installing it I gave it a quick bench test and what'd you know? It works like a charm! I re-installed it and fired up the set holding my breath and crossing my fingers before flipping that switch. I flipped the switch, heard an audible clunk and LET THERE BE LIGHT(because i had a 1000 watt halogen light hooked up to test)!!! YAYYYYYYY! thanks guys for all the help and info. Im going to try and tinker with the other relay to see if i can get it to work again and keep it as a spare.

Xlandscaper

Update: took the relay apart and snapped the dam screw somehow. While fiddling with it I also broke the solder connection and need to re solder it. Once I drilled out the broken screw I re-tapped the threads. As I was doing such the lovely plastic snapped in 1/2. Anyone know where I can find one of the tan plastic screw holder? Would be a shame to toss the whole thing for a small part that probably cost 1¢ to make.

IMG_3443.jpgIMG_3441.jpgIMG_3440.jpgIMG_3442.jpgIMG_3445.jpg

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
If someone doesn't have an unserviceable laying around, take a look back to page 2. I listed the manufactures. Call or email them. Doesn't cost anything but time. Lots of heat in the contractor and this is typical damage that results from it.

Guyfang

Staff member
Any way to help me sort out which relay K1 is, where located, tried the TM 24 but did not see that relay/location.
Photo of location? Thanks
Next time you need to find something, look at the data plates on the door. Find the schematic. Look for instence for K1. Its listed as a AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER RELAY. Then like Kloppk told you, look in the -24P and or -24 TM and its not hard to find a picture of it.

ehannah365

Ok so I removed the cover again and started the set to test it on the generator and nothing. So I took a block of wood and when flipping the circuit to closed it clicks but doesn't fully close. So just to test I pushed down on top of the open relay with the wood and instant power. I'm at the end with this thing. Frustration has set in. The machine only has 27 original hours when I got it and only has 42 now.
I am having the hardest time finding the AC circuit interrupter. Either frustration has sat in or this is really going over my head.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a whole world of fun sitting behind the wall where your voltage phase switch is. I suggest you download and read the TMs if you haven't already, this area is drilled out line be line, in the documents.

Ray70

Ehannah365, if you're having the same problem with your interruptor not closing, go through the test process and if you determine that the magnetic contactor is the problem, try giving it a few taps with a rubber mallet or a small dead blow hammer.... It's worked several times for me.
If that fixes your problem, you may want to open it up and check / clean and issues you find internally.

screejunk

Hello there. Does anyone have the detailed engineering specifications for the K1 relay. We are trying to find an aftermarket part that can replace this on the TQG series. Many thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks