• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a arrives - might need a little help

Tokiozulu

Auctioned 09 vintage 802 arrived on Monday. 10hrs on the clock and apart from some road dust on all the flat surfaces its spanking new. Manual in plastic, ground rods in place on the skid, aux fuel hose and ground wire tie wrapped in door compartment. I was told the 2HN batteries were no good and on closer inspection I noticed they had never been put into service - bone dry and still had the red shrink wrap on the caps marked "remove seal when battery is activatedimage.jpg". I purchased acid, filled and charged. Will be starting up tomorrow.

I guess the 10 hours on the clock were all via NATO jump plug starts.

Now for what I may need help - I found a 2" copper buss bar with what looks like a 12mm and an 8mm hole in the ends along with nuts spring and flat washers. Not the ground neutral strap as this is in place at the lower right on the load terminal board. I'm wondering if it may be a buss from the back side of the terminal board that has rattled off?

Thought I'd consult the brain trust before I go and remove the terminal board tomorrow for a gander of the back side.

just had a thought - is this bar possibly an alternate method to connect to the top of the ground rod?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Go to TM 9-6115-642-24P. Page, (PDF page number) 77. You will see where your parts go. If you have not downloaded the manuals before, look in the TM section of the Forum.

LOOK at the back of the TB1, and see if the parts are already there. It could be someone replaced them, without looking to see if they were laying in the set someplace. BUT LOOK! Don't guess, don't figure "It's close enough for government work".

And no, it could not have rattled off by itself. It had help.

Tokiozulu

image.jpgHi Guy - close but no cigar. I removed TB1 and the stock bar is in place. This extra bar has hole spacing a tad wider than the stock one and is bare copper and at least twice the thickness of the stock bar. Both of the nuts are the same thread as the back side TB1 studs however. With the existing bar in place I guess these parts are surplus to requirements. Weird how they ended up inside this seemingly new genset. Glad I pulled the TB1 to see what's behind and clean anyways and that was one of the manuals I had not put into iBooks yet.
Good news is it starts and volts and freq look good so far with no load. Now to hookup to the house and load it up.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Slow down a little

Take a meter and verify a few things first. You do not want to be sending say 120v on one leg and 80v on another leg. House stuff does not like that. :)

Tokiozulu

Hi Mike - I'm in no hurry. Will check voltages on all legs. Will probably change the oil before anything. With only 10 hours I think I'll leave the fuel and air filters for another time. I got the breakin oil you recommended. I'm sure it has breakin oil in it now but I'm thinking it's been there for quite a while and may be acidic? I'm happy that the batteries were never put in service and are now up and running. Do you think it's worth changing the coolant?

Guyfang

Staff member
It could be someone "fixed" it at some point in the sets life, and then later it got fixed right. Or it could be that when the set was reset, some parts from one set, got tossed into another. When ever I worked on a set, I always took a magnet and ran it into areas I could not see. Always "found" lots of "stuff'" in the sets. Tools and spare parts. But do check it out good before hooking up the house.

Tokiozulu

This thing was caked with road dust so I wiped around the pan pretty well with a damp cloth - thought about hosing it out but i don't have my casters yet to get it out of the garage. No reset on this unit Guy - it's an 09 and as far as I can see never used. It was a police station Govdeals auction.

eatont9999

If it were mine, I would check that the fluids are at the right level and visually look good, then run it until the next service interval.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks