• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A Battery advice

webboc

Yikes! Is the generator not running at the moment and you want to lend it batteries to start it and then take them away to put them back in their original use (or maybe jump it w/a 24v system)?
I have since purchased two new batteries for the generator and did not want suffer the same fate. I could use my 24v power start to get it going but I am unsure as to whether some damage may occur if the generator is run without batteries.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have since purchased two new batteries for the generator and did not want suffer the same fate. I could use my 24v power start to get it going but I am unsure as to whether some damage may occur if the generator is run without batteries.
Put a float / trickle charger on them with a minimum of 1 Amp max current for 24V System on them to keep them fat and happy

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just me, @webboc, so please forgive my dense head...! If you bought batteries are you not wanting to leave them in the generator?

webboc

It's just me, @webboc, so please forgive my dense head...! If you bought batteries are you not wanting to leave them in the generator?
Hi Evvy, yes I would like to install them in the generator but I fear they will be stolen even if the machine is running, hence I asked if it is possible to run the generator in the absence of the batteries (i.e after it is started I would remove the batteries for safe-keeping).

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha! I suppose I would be afraid that they would steal the generator next. Can you lock down the batteries? You can remove them live, but be careful. There's going to be charging current during operation so even with the negative disconnected the positive will make sparks when/if your wrench touches the cabinet and positive connector at the same time. Go slowly and carefully.

Last edited:

webboc

They would have to make a heck of lot of noise to run off with the generator as it is anchored. I believe the thieves would smash their way through any battery locking mechanism, and possibly cause damage to the generator itself, which would outweigh the cost of a couple of batteries. It is just the inconvenience of finding that the batteries are not there when a power outage occurs. Regardless, many thanks for your advice Evvy.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
batteries will help smooth out any fluctuations with the alternator output as loads are applied and dropped from the unit (this shouldn't be an issue on a properly operating set, but figured it should be stated anyway)

Personally I don't particularly like putting my hands or tools inside of an operating generator any more than I absolutely have to for testing/repairs. Disconnecting and removing batteries with unit operating seems like it would be loud and dangerous to do.

My advice would be buy a cheap set of batteries that won't be as painful if they are stolen, like lawnmower batteries, and then keep your good set available to jump start it through the slave port or something like that if it gets really cold and the unit needs additional power to crank.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tape up the battery cables in the set and use the slave connector on the outside of the set.
Yes a very good idea, even better if you have this genset close to a dwelling. You could plumb some conduit underground from the machine to the dwelling. Use a NATO fitting and appropriately sized wires at the machine, underground, into the dwelling direct to (2) 12V batteries. That way even if they undid this connection, they would then have to hunt out the other end.

webboc

batteries will help smooth out any fluctuations with the alternator output as loads are applied and dropped from the unit (this shouldn't be an issue on a properly operating set, but figured it should be stated anyway)

Personally I don't particularly like putting my hands or tools inside of an operating generator any more than I absolutely have to for testing/repairs. Disconnecting and removing batteries with unit operating seems like it would be loud and dangerous to do.

My advice would be buy a cheap set of batteries that won't be as painful if they are stolen, like lawnmower batteries, and then keep your good set available to jump start it through the slave port or something like that if it gets really cold and the unit needs additional power to crank.
Thanks Coug for your advice. I will look to making a battery start pack with Anderson connectors which I can remove when the generator is not in use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks