• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802a battery charging question

justacitizen

the gauge on the control panel on my 802a always registers a few amp and is overcharging the battery's. my question is the voltage regulator on the battery charging alternator adjustable or do i need to just replace it? Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator is on the back of the alternator and isn't adjustable. Sounds like you need a new one.

How are you measuring it overcharging? What is the voltage on the batteries?

justacitizen

And how long are you running the set?
that is actually a very good question. i haven't run it for more than about 30 min maybe 45 min yet. according to the instrument cluster the charge will start a little above 10 amp and will sense down to just above the red green line maybe 1/32 of an inch into the red. i am just a little sensitive because i suspect this unit had a battery fire before it was surplussed. i could just be chasing a ghost.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is normal for the charge gauge to stay to the right of zero. The alternator is always producing enough energy to charge the batteries and run the DC side of the controls.

You should keep an eye on the battery voltage and make sure you are not above the safe float voltage for them.

Edit - Also make sure your set has the fuse in the alternator lead behind the control panel.

Guyfang

Staff member
It is normal for the charge gauge to stay to the right of zero. (When the batteirys are full) The alternator is always producing enough energy to charge the batteries and run the DC side of the controls.

You should keep an eye on the battery voltage and make sure you are not above the safe float voltage for them.

Edit - Also make sure your set has the fuse in the alternator lead behind the control panel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks