• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a cold weather starting

Ray70

What is the general consensus on the diesel fired coolant heaters? I have a nice 803 with what looks to be a brand new heater in it.
Here in the North East, engine coolant heating isn't really necessary. I've started liquid cooled's down into the -5F with no issues and it rarely gets much colder than that here, so I'm considering removing it and selling it.
My question is: Is there a market for them, or are the electric heaters what you colder climate guys leaning towards?
I like the idea of flipping the switch and using the diesel unit only when you need to start it in sub-zero outage, rather than needing to leave it plugged in "just in case" the power goes out. But I know they are pricey and wonder if there is a market for them or not?
Any thoughts?

Guyfang

Staff member
What is the general consensus on the diesel fired coolant heaters? I have a nice 803 with what looks to be a brand new heater in it.
Here in the North East, engine coolant heating isn't really necessary. I've started liquid cooled's down into the -5F with no issues and it rarely gets much colder than that here, so I'm considering removing it and selling it.
My question is: Is there a market for them, or are the electric heaters what you colder climate guys leaning towards?
I like the idea of flipping the switch and using the diesel unit only when you need to start it in sub-zero outage, rather than needing to leave it plugged in "just in case" the power goes out. But I know they are pricey and wonder if there is a market for them or not?
Any thoughts?
The heaters work great, as long as they are clean. I sent some of my soldiers to Alaska on a mission, and they used them. But every one of them said the heater had to be kept clean, and if you simply kept battery's charged, they never needed the heater. Only with weak battery's or when a set had set for weeks at a time without starting. One of my smart guys kept an electric blanket inside the emergency back up machine, when the temps went south for the winter. They were there for 6 months.

Having said that, I never used on on my machines, the whole time I was on active. I worked on a mountain top, (I would call it a large hill) for almost 8 years. It got down to -30 degrees Celcuis. We ran 24/7 and I never felt I needed a heater. Yes, we had problems starting the sets. But it was mainly a battery problem. Battery's do not react well to the cold.

When we had problems starting sets, I used a propane torch, or a "fire stick". A fire stick was a 3 foot long welding rod, bent in a loop on one end for my hand to hold it, and on the other, a small, almost tiny loop, with a piece of jeans pinched in it. I dipped the jeans end into some diesel, then lit it on fire. Then I held the fire stick, or a propane torch in front of the air filter housing, after removing the filter. Turn on the S1, and about 30 seconds later, the set ran like a top. The warm air allowed the set to start RIGHT now. Let it run a few minutes, turn it off, and replace the filter. I NEVER used any ether starting aid. The only thing you have to sometimes do, is flip up the S7 Emergency switch, before letting S1 go. The oil pressure took a few seconds longer to come up.

MrShawn305

So I took this last week as we got snow. We rarely get snow. I was out the door for work and the thought occurred to me, so I took a quick video. Sorry if it seemed rushed, I just wanted to see how my 802 would do with no preheat. I was very impressed. It was 26 out that morning.

Triple Jim

My 002 and 003 require glow plugs when temp is below around 50 degrees F.
Those generators are wired so the glow plugs are on when you're cranking, so you're using them whenever you start them. You're just not preheating with the plugs. I don't think an 002A or 003A would start at 70F if you disconnected all the glow plugs.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
So very true. If people read the books. or looked at the wire diagrams, they would notice that these sets DO, get help starting.

The only time we used preheat was when the temp was -25 Grad, Cel, or colder.

Here is a trick, I learned in the old days. Works with the 004A-006A sets. Not sure about the 802A-806A. Anyway, you start the set with S1. As its turning over, you flip up the S7, The starter will kick out, due to the S7 being turned on. BUT, you continue to hold up the S1. When the exhaust begins to spit out black smoke, you are close! Hold the S1 up! Then stand there and clean your fingernails. At some point in time, the engine will run up in speed, let S1 go. The set will shut down. THEN start it normal. Works every time. The S7 keeps the fuel pumps roaring, locks out the safety circuit. The set is warm enough to start normally.

I would have liked to try it on the 802A-806A, but it never got cold enough here.

justacitizen

on some of my other equipment with cummins diesels or perkins and new holland there is installed into the intake a flame heater or hot start. it works by either plumbing into the return fuel line or by having a tiny reservoir to supply the flame heater with fuel. when engaged there is a small coil that glows red and the small amount of heat opens a bi metal valve and allows a drip of diesel to ignite on the coil. once it ignites you crank the engine and away she goes. they are cheap and simple.