• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A First attempt to start

Skispcs

I finally got around to taking a look at my 802A. I started by changing all of the fluids and filters.

I bought a Wix 33472 for the fuel filter. When I went to transfer the petcock from the old filter to the WIX, the threads did not appear to be the same.
It would only go in about one turn, so before I cross threaded anything, I just drained the old filter and used it, it looked new anyhow.
Anyone have problems with the petcock, or any suggestions?

After getting everything buttoned up I turned on the fuel pump to let it prime, I checked everything I did to make sure there was no leaks.
On the one side of the engine I noticed a small stream of fuel coming from somewhere near the top of the head, about under the air filter housing and running down behind the starter.

I shut it off and started to poke around but it was getting dark by then, any suggestions on what to look for when trying to determine the source of the leak?

Ratch

Probably a bad fuel return line, or if you have not checked them, it may be that the injector lines were opened, then the unit abandoned and surplused. It's most likely a broken or open fuel return line, though. They're a little flimsy on the 802.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
common for the fuel lines to leak from age. they are 4mm, very hard to find in US so i bought a 50 ft roll from europe, let me know if you need some. the fuel filter by wix is different and the drain valve cannot be used.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
X3 on the fuel return line -- I've gotten to the point where I simply replace the fuel return lines en masse. It saves taking the muffler and air filter housing off a second, or third time. It is 1/8 inch I.D. hose and can be had at any parts store. I got some on ebay 'cause I wanted the yellow colored tubing.

The "T" and union fittings are available at ACE hardware here locally, but should be had at Lowes or Home Depot. The fittings don't usually go bad, but if you are going to splice in some new line you'll need a union fitting.

The lines seem to generally deteriorate on these things, as well as abrade when they rub against the metal lines.

easy fix, but messy -- I use the 'blue' nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight to keep from getting diesel all over my skin.

Skispcs

You guys are awesome. The fuel starts dripping from the braided return line on either side of the white zip tie.

Never mind I answered my own question after reading the manual., "Are the tees plastic? Is the hose just pushed on? Some of the fitting look rather permanent especially where the hose starts on the fuel rail by the injector."

@m-35tom I would be happy to buy some from you if you have enough left. I would think that I should replace all of it, if it is a high failure item.

Thanks
Greg

fuelreturnline.jpg

Edit: never mind question after reading the manual.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yep it all just pushes on since there is no pressure there. i don't know the total length for a 803 but call me if you want 410-549-6649

Skispcs

Thank you for all of the help.
I found some 5/32" Spectre Stainless Braided Line in a clearance bin at the local parts store.
I used 10ft to replace the entire return hose, give or take a few inches. Zip tied it so the braid would have no chance to hit the battery posts even with the battery covers off and everything looks good.
I started it up and let it run for about 30 minutes, checked the freq and voltage with a DVM and plugged a small heater into one of the convenience outlets.

The only other thing I noticed was that the fuel gauge was only displaying 1/2 a tank, even though I poured five gallons of diesel in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks