• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 802A Fuel Filter leaking.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having an issue with the bowl fuel filter, not the spin on. I installed a new filter and O ring in the top housing and its leaking like crazy. I've looked at all the parts diagrams and have it installed the way they show in diagram. Am I missing something? Its as tight as I can get it. Thanks for any help.

Ray70

What did you use for an o-ring? Did it come with the filter?
I think that seal is a square cut ring, not an o-ring.
It's possible that the o-ring either isn't sitting right or just not working if it's in fact supposed to be a square cut o-ring.
But I'll admit I've had the same issue and it was because the seal kept falling down in the back and not seating right.

Other thing is the seal around the bolt itself.
Are you sure the fuel is coming from where the bowl meets the housing?

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use for an o-ring? Did it come with the filter?
I think that seal is a square cut ring, not an o-ring.
It's possible that the o-ring either isn't sitting right or just not working if it's in fact supposed to be a square cut o-ring.
But I'll admit I've had the same issue and it was because the seal kept falling down in the back and not seating right.

Other thing is the seal around the bolt itself.
Are you sure the fuel is coming from where the bowl meets the housing?
I watched it pour from where the bowl meets the top housing. It is a square gasket that I had to look upside down underneath and press into the top housing. It is a thin square seal.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it just start leaking when you changed the filter, or is this a new machine for you tat was leaking when you got it?
It was a new machine that the fuel filter assembly was taken apart. It was laying in bottom. I did get a thicker square gasket that came with filter. I figured the kit would have the correct gasket.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the assembly picture from the Engine TM, to make sure everything is in the correct order?
The spring, washers, seals etc?
Got it! I had another square gasket in the filter that I bought and tried that one! I had to guide the cup up slowly so it would seat on the new gasket. And for the first time since the Army took it apart, it is now a runner!

Attachments

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Something else I do when replacing that seal was to, just before it was tight, turn the filter cup around once or twice, then tighten it up. And yes, guiding the cup up, is a good idea. This filter often takes 1-3 tries to get it right. Practice makes perfect.
A little petroleum jelly on that square ring will hold them up in the groove also. I seem to have good luck with that.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's cool bringing these machines back to life, isn't it?
I have 3 Mep 802's that I am in the process of rebuilding, this one is done! Just have to finish installing panels and new batteries. I think the funnest thing for me is picking them up because I get to see the new units that will be up for auction soon. The only thing lately is someone is bidding them up to way past what they are worth, but thats life!

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 3 Mep 802's that I am in the process of rebuilding, this one is done! Just have to finish installing panels and new batteries. I think the funnest thing for me is picking them up because I get to see the new units that will be up for auction soon. The only thing lately is someone is bidding them up to way past what they are worth, but thats life!
What are they not bidding up like crazy lately!! Glad you got it running.

loosegravel

What are they not bidding up like crazy lately!! Glad you got it running.
I can usually justify the high bids on some of the units with a 1000 or 2 on the clock. I’ve had really good luck with them. But what’s hard to chew on is some of the outrageously high bids on the lower hour units. IMO, the “mid-life” units are just fine. I’m looking at 3 units up for auction tomorrow. One of them is an 802A unit with less than 100 hours on it. Sure, it looks nice and everything, but if I’m out bid on my current bid of $2700, then I really can’t justify going any higher. Unfortunately, we always have to factor in an additional 25% for taxes, auction fees, credit card fees…and the list just keeps getting longer!

loosegravel

Even at $2700, that would be about $3400, and I would get to drive 500 miles round trip to go pick it up. Fuel still hasn’t settled down to a good price where I’m at. My hope is to bring home all 3 of these units to make it worth the trip.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even at $2700, that would be about $3400, and I would get to drive 500 miles round trip to go pick it up. Fuel still hasn’t settled down to a good price where I’m at. My hope is to bring home all 3 of these units to make it worth the trip.
The fees do drive me nuts sometimes...I looked at what they're doing out here in Pa and around 1200 to 2500 with or without a trailer is about average with under 500 hours...they get tons here though so I think they don't bring as much but I could be wrong on that. I only live 45 miles from the depot too so I can make a light trip if need be. I have a nice 803 and 531 little boy. Curious if the weather is bad by you with the flooding and such...might have a higher demand for them. A friend of mine got wiped out in northern California yesterday.

loosegravel

The fees do drive me nuts sometimes...I looked at what they're doing out here in Pa and around 1200 to 2500 with or without a trailer is about average with under 500 hours...they get tons here though so I think they don't bring as much but I could be wrong on that. I only live 45 miles from the depot too so I can make a light trip if need be. I have a nice 803 and 531 little boy. Curious if the weather is bad by you with the flooding and such...might have a higher demand for them. A friend of mine got wiped out in northern California yesterday.
I’m getting anywhere from $5000 - $6000 resale on the 5kw’s. A little more with a trailer. It’s always about the demand like you’ve indicated. High winds where I’m at for the past couple of weeks. The power has dropped out twice in this past week giving me the chance to fire up my 803A 10kw unit. I went down to town yesterday to fill up my 55 gallon auxiliary tank. Still paying $4.30 a gallon cash price here. I’ve got a childhood friend who also lives in northern CA. Clear Lake. He’s all for the rain. Wants it to fill all of the lakes that have been historically low and also leave a reserve snow pack up in the Sierras.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m getting anywhere from $5000 - $6000 resale on the 5kw’s. A little more with a trailer. It’s always about the demand like you’ve indicated. High winds where I’m at for the past couple of weeks. The power has dropped out twice in this past week giving me the chance to fire up my 803A 10kw unit. I went down to town yesterday to fill up my 55 gallon auxiliary tank. Still paying $4.30 a gallon cash price here. I’ve got a childhood friend who also lives in northern CA. Clear Lake. He’s all for the rain. Wants it to fill all of the lakes that have been historically low and also leave a reserve snow pack up in the Sierras.
Where you getting that? I've got 292 hour unit with only a few bites at $2600. It's in perfect condition.

loosegravel

Where you getting that? I've got 292 hour unit with only a few bites at $2600. It's in perfect condition.
I’m in the NW. Again it’s all about demand. The Olympic Peninsula seems to be where a lot of these units are going. I also sold a fleet of units last year to a guy in Eastern Washington. He and his wife run an off the grid nursery out there some place. He needed the 5kw’s to run a couple of different wells, he also bought a couple of 10kw’s and a 30kw that I had.