• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A M8 Percent Load Gauge Issue

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I finally found the picture of the insides of the Current Transformer that I mentioned above.
View attachment 886216
That’s very interesting. With no moving parts, it makes one wonder what could cause an intermittent open? Maybe loosen all 6 of the studs, clean and tighten? Treat the studs with some corrosion prevention like WD-40?

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
That’s very interesting. With no moving parts, it makes one wonder what could cause an intermittent open? Maybe loosen all 6 of the studs, clean and tighten? Treat the studs with some corrosion prevention like WD-40?
In my case, there never was an open. Everything tested as it should have. It makes no sense really. I don't know what else could interfear with it's operation as I'm not sure exactly how it does, what it does. Maybe chunks of rust stuck to the windings?

Ray70

The only thing I can think of is corrosion between the studs and wires or a bad connection between one coil wire and the inner half of it's stud ( can't tell from picture how those connections are made ) I've seen this same issue but on an 002 in which the problem was some corrosion inside the big AC select switch, but the result was the same... AMP readings about 1/2 what they should have been.
So I definitely think you have corrosion somewhere causing high resistance at a connection.
Like Guy said... only one way to find out!
And fear not, if you break it worse than it already is, I have a spare available.

loosegravel

Just a thought here. I've been working on an 804A unit which has some high resistance issues in the J5/P5 and J6/P6 AMP connectors. I've ordered some socket pins to repair the 24-pin connector. These problems have been affecting the 24vdc power up to the main control panel, the start circuit and also the electronic governor control circuit. I was just looking at the schematics for the 802A unit. I'm seeing that this unit also has some of the same bulkhead style through connectors. It seems that when the upper panels on these units are not properly secured and sealed, we can get water intrusion into these connectors because of the way that they're mounted vertically. It may be a good place to check. You may find some loose pin sockets like I did.

loosegravel

Just a thought here. I've been working on an 804A unit which has some high resistance issues in the J5/P5 and J6/P6 AMP connectors. I've ordered some socket pins to repair the 24-pin connector. These problems have been affecting the 24vdc power up to the main control panel, the start circuit and also the electronic governor control circuit. I was just looking at the schematics for the 802A unit. I'm seeing that this unit also has some of the same bulkhead style through connectors. It seems that when the upper panels on these units are not properly secured and sealed, we can get water intrusion into these connectors because of the way that they're mounted vertically. It may be a good place to check. You may find some loose pin sockets like I did.
4A0F40F0-895B-46C0-BBA9-EA0EB33CDD3C.jpeg4A0F40F0-895B-46C0-BBA9-EA0EB33CDD3C.jpeg

loosegravel

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
The pin size on these connectors is .062". I've been using the shank end of a .060" drill bit to check the sockets for tightness. If I don't feel the resistance when inserting or removing the drill bit then I'm going to replace that socket. I'm not seeing any problems with the pins, only the sockets.
Intresting. I checked the J6 and it looked okay, but didn't think about if the connector pins were loose. Maybe my hitting the unit made it make better contact? Good tip and it's a fairly easy check.

Guyfang

Staff member
Part of the problem is pressure washing, and the other part is that the plugs are often not tight. I love pressure washing. But when done, and I always tried to do it when it was warm, if not hot. Or, leave the gen set in a warm building for a few days. I know, this is not always an option. Also, using compressed air on both halfs of the plug, after washing. Using some type of contact spray is always a good idea. Even WD-40.

sjc

Looking at the photo of the dis-assembled unit from Kurt, it looks like the CT secondary wires are soldered to the thru connectors ... most likely you have a dry solder joint if that is the case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks