• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-802A. No power at convenience receptacle

SkeeterBomb

Just bought this almost new mep-802a generator at liquidation auction. Runs great. No power at convenience receptacle though. Nothing else is hooked up. Resets didn't help. Gotta be something simple I believe. Fuse location? Thx in advance

Bmxenbrett

Theres a circuit breaker behind the control pannel. Its covered in one of the threads. Might be called CB1 but cant remember.

Guyfang

Staff member
Open the control panel door. Stick your head in about 2 inches, turn your head to the left. Look at the side of the 120 volt convenience recept. And you will see, CB3. Circuit Breaker 3. Push it in. Then Try your 120 volt recept.

have you downloaded all the manuals you need to operate and repair this gen set, from the SS forum?

SkeeterBomb

Thanks. Yes I downloaded the manual. I see a circuit breaker reset. Tried many times pushing it in. Doesn't seem to even push in.

SkeeterBomb

Reading the other threads some people have an in-line fuse which I don't see either. The circuit breaker behind the control panel says "short circuit, overcurrent, circuit breaker, push to reset thermal breaker". Is this CB3? I have pushed it many times with no success and it doesn't even seem to do anything when I push it. The manual that came with this unit is tm 9-6115-641-10.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the generators AC voltmeter indicate either 120 volts or 240 volts when it's running?

My 1994 802 has an in-line fuse instead of the breaker.
On mine the fuse to the left of the leftmost relay zip tied to the top of the large white wire bundle.

20160108_112016.jpg20160108_112028.jpg

Last edited:

SkeeterBomb

IMG_1260.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1260.jpgIMG_1260.jpg Is this CB3? I don't see an inline fuse. My voltmeter shows no reading when running. Again, nothing is hooked up to the unit.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect earlier sets like mine had the fuse but not the CB on the side of the GFCI.
Yours has the CB on the side of the GFCI so no in-line fuse is needed.
Yes - that's the CB to reset for the convenience outlet.

It's possible your set isn't producing power at all....

I'd suggest downloading the -24 TM and refer to the troubleshooting section regarding no output power.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No power at the convenience outlet is probably why this unit was sold... couldn’t charge cellphone or power a TV set...:whistle:

Seriously though Skeeter, it’s probably something simple. Do you have a volt/ohm meter? What about power at the output terminals? With the TMs and a good meter, you’ll be running in no time.

Last edited:

heavyzee

if you follow the Line leads out of CB3, (a black and white wire) they should be hooked up to TB5 terminals 4 and 6; check for 120v across those terminals.

If you have 120v across those terminals, and cannot reset the side breaker on CB3, its fried. New ones are $25 ish on the popular auction site

Guyfang

Staff member
I suspect earlier sets like mine had the fuse but not the CB on the side of the GFCI.
Yours has the CB on the side of the GFCI so no in-line fuse is needed.
Yes - that's the CB to reset for the convenience outlet.

It's possible your set isn't producing power at all....

I'd suggest downloading the -24 TM and refer to the troubleshooting section regarding no output power.

Indeed, the OLD GFI's had a fuse. But you would have to look long and wide to find one. 99.99999999% of the old gfi' s are long gone. The fuse is not even on the wire diagrams or schematic.

Kloppk and Chainbreaker have pointed you in the right direction. Now, execute! This is not rocket science.

Do you have the Quad modification on the gen set? If you don't know what it is, take a picture of the inside of the control panel, from head on.

SkeeterBomb

if you follow the Line leads out of CB3, (a black and white wire) they should be hooked up to TB5 terminals 4 and 6; check for 120v across those terminals.

If you have 120v across those terminals, and cannot reset the side breaker on CB3, its fried. New ones are $25 ish on the popular auction site
I'd like to purchase one of these... Can you be more specific as to exactly where I can purchase this? Link?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed, the OLD GFI's had a fuse. But you would have to look long and wide to find one. 99.99999999% of the old gfi' s are long gone. The fuse is not even on the wire diagrams or schematic.

Kloppk and Chainbreaker have pointed you in the right direction. Now, execute! This is not rocket science.

Do you have the Quad modification on the gen set? If you don't know what it is, take a picture of the inside of the control panel, from head on.
You have a good source for the wire for the quad mod, Guy? The fuse and holder are easy enough to find (holder is discontinued, but replaced by another model). I have a couple machines that need this.

Guyfang

Staff member
Try putting the NSN into your browser.

5925-01-458-7026

There are several company's that sell parts. Green Mountain for instance. Or you could try putting a want add here in the forum. You could also put the part number into your browser. Or into the big auction site.

Just about every posting in this thread has asked you if you have downloaded the manuals, or asked/told you to download the manuals.

I wish you luck in your endeavors to repair this gen set.

Guyfang

Staff member
81349 M5086/2-10-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 10

81349 M5086/2-12-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 12

81349 M5086/2-16-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 16

81349 M5086/2-20-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 20

81349 M5086/2-4-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 4

81349 M5086/2-6-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG #6

81349 M5086/2-8-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 8

81349 is the manufactures code. As soon as I can reinstall a bunch of files, I can tell you who this is, or you can look in the internet.

M5086/2-10-9 is the part number. As soon as I can reinstall some files, I can give you the specs on the wire. The long and short of it is its aircraft grade wire. You simply cant get anything better. Do you need it? I don't think so. The first 30-40 of the MWO's, (Modification Work Order) I installed, we used wire out of the LAWSON kit. Its cheap automotive wire. Works just as well. Then I ordered one of each wire type listed below, 500 foot roll. I used that for the next 8 years, and didn't use it all.

If you need the NSN's, let me know. I KNOW if you plug in the part number in your browser, lots of company's will come up. Stuff aint cheap, but like I said, simply the best.

Better yet, the gen set you took pictures of, and sent me. Use some of its wire harness.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
81349 M5086/2-10-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 10

81349 M5086/2-12-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 12

81349 M5086/2-16-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 16

81349 M5086/2-20-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 20

81349 M5086/2-4-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 4

81349 M5086/2-6-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG #6

81349 M5086/2-8-9 . WIRE,ELECTRICAL AWG 8

81349 is the manufactures code. As soon as I can reinstall a bunch of files, I can tell you who this is, or you can look in the internet.

M5086/2-10-9 is the part number. As soon as I can reinstall some files, I can give you the specs on the wire. The long and short of it is its aircraft grade wire. You simply cant get anything better. Do you need it? I don't think so. The first 30-40 of the MWO's, (Modification Work Order) I installed, we used wire out of the LAWSON kit. Its cheap automotive wire. Works just as well. Then I ordered one of each wire type listed below, 500 foot roll. I used that for the next 8 years, and didn't use it all.

If you need the NSN's, let me know. I KNOW if you plug in the part number in your browser, lots of company's will come up. Stuff aint cheap, but like I said, simply the best.

Better yet, the gen set you took pictures of, and sent me. Use some of its wire harness.
Was my plan to take from the donor machine, but as I called Allied Wire a couple days ago... they were no help (and one of the suppliers listed under the NSN). So it was top of mind.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had sane or similar problems with my newest 803a rebuild from LetterKenny! Ttrailer mounted & it had never been grounded! Ran #2 wire from G lug to the trailer frame ground post, and everything works. This might be redundant Intel have not read all the post yet. Just my 21/2 cents 😎

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks