• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-802a no start from main start switch

gnrr53

It is the round type. I do not think it is a clogged line due to the fact that after the pump cools down it runs fine for 5 or 6 minutes before it quits. Then the
pump does not run when S1 is in the run/prime position until after I wait for about 15 minutes. If the fuel line was clogged wouldn't the pump still run?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have debris blocking the inlet in the tank, restricting flow to the pump. That would also cause it to warm up (and allow for fuel to flow again initially until the blockage is sucked back to the point of exit again).

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get 5 minutes of run time consistently... unhook the rigid fuel line from the pump, and rig a temporary line up to dump fuel into a canister (or multiple canisters so you can shuttle fuel back to your tank, while not letting it leak everywhere). If the fuel stops flowing after 5 minutes... you know its of course not the fuel system after this pump. Its either the pump, or the fuel source TO the pump.

gnrr53

Just to verify my findings from yesterday I started the generator and waited for it to quit so I could check some things, the generator ran non-stop for an hour before I turned it off. I will be taking this unit out to the Chihuahuan desert and so far I do not have a lot of confidence in it. It is a 3 hour drive back
to Del Rio if I need any parts.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When these things run properly, you will be surprised how confident you can become in them. Consider this good foundational troubleshooting work, which you will build said confidence upon. Once someone actually puts some elbow grease time in, a completely new appreciation of the machines comes into being. Seems like a win win to me.

The two things I have mentioned don't really cost anything to perform, past your time. The more you can cross off the possibility list, the faster you will become operational (and STAY operational).

Guyfang

Staff member
It is the round type. I do not think it is a clogged line due to the fact that after the pump cools down it runs fine for 5 or 6 minutes before it quits. Then the
pump does not run when S1 is in the run/prime position until after I wait for about 15 minutes. If the fuel line was clogged wouldn't the pump still run?
Have you felt the pump? Was it HOT? Or just warm? If you haven't felt it, you don't know its overheated.
In post 63, LITD is right. It often happens, that some sort of trash plugs up the pickup tube. The set runs out of fuel. Then the trash slowly drifts back to the bottom of the tank. And that take a bit. 5 min would be about right. Then the whole cycle starts again.

Now my question to you is this. When the set stops, is it the typical running out of fuel type of stopping? Engine speed dies off, it may sputter a bit. Or does it just stop. Like being turned off? Because if it just stops, like being turned off, then its not a fuel blockage. Do you get and idiot lights?

If you really think its the pump, remove the in put and out put lines. Install two temporary lines. Stick the input line into a jar of fuel. Stick the out put line into the jar. Turn the S1 on to prime, and drink a beer or two. Give it a long run. This is almost the same as LITD's method in post #64, but this way you don't have to worry about emptying a container. You don't even have to stay there. Just keep an ear out for it.

Also, the filter on the electric pump. Have you changed it? It also might be plugged up.

Your one hour test run is not much of a test. If it is a trash problem in the fuel tank, it may, or may not, happen always at he same time frame. Have you inspected the fuel tank?

gnrr53

When the unit quit, it sounded like it was running out of fuel. I never felt the fuel pump when it was stopping to see how hot or worm it was, that was going
to be one of my checks today. After the hour run time the pump was a little warm only. I have a scope I will put in the tank to check for crap. I really
appreciate all the suggestions, I have some things to check and I will let ya'll know the out come. I do not get any idiot lights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks