• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-802a no start well pump

m38inmaine

You need to know how many amps the well pump is drawing compared to what your generator will handle. Electric motors can draw a lot of current on start up.

Dock Rocker

Your pump is pulling way more amps than the genset will make.

My 003 struggles to start a well pump that has much head pressure on it. It grunts when the pump starts.

I would see what the actual load being generated by the pump is.

I am not sure but I bet you could put a hard start capacitor ahead of the pump and it will make it easier on the genset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to know more about the situation. When you say stops it cold does that mean the engine bogs down? What happens to the load meter and the volt meter? Can you shoot a quick video of the event?

Have you load tested the generator?

I have a 3/4 horse well pump at 180' and a MEP831 starts it. It complains but it does start it.

reboot

Well today i hook up gen turn off every thing but 220 volt electric stove . had all top burners on high . generator kicked out on overload. also amp gauge would not hold steady keep dropping back to 25%

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize but I'm having trouble following you.

You connected the generator and turned on your stove. What was the load meter reading when it tripped on overload?

How long did it take? Was the engine exhaust smoking?

We need a LOT more info to help you.

Bmxenbrett

You need an amp clamp meter. Something is wrong.

I also have an 802 with 240v 1/2hp well pump and it starts it with no issues. I have a heat pump water heater and can take a hot shower with no issues.20180827_191530.jpg
Heres the tag from my pump when i replaced it last year. It also ran a 12yr old simular pump with no issues. Mine is only 20ft down though.

reboot

generator was puffing a little black smoke,amp meter would go up each time my wife would the burners a little higher,then drop back to
25% amp meter was on higher side of scale when overload kicked out. I'm going to get a clamp on amp meter check it that way. note runs 120 volt stuff great just having trouble at 220 volt

Dock Rocker

You need a clamp on amp meter to see what the power output actually is.

Rule number one of military equipment. Never trust a gage.

My guess is it is wet stacked and you are going to have to cook out all of the carbon. That said you are going to have to define what your amp draw is and what your generator output is in order to even start troubleshooting.

Also do you have the manuals so that you can start troubleshooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katahdin

My .5hp 200ft well pump draws 5 amps. 230Vx5amp=1150 watts, 2300 watts surge?

How old is the well pump? My former 20-year-old well pump seemed to be drawing more current, flickering lights, etc before it quit.

reboot

well pump is going on 35 years. going to replace it couple weeks, hoped to find a 1/2hp motor that draws less current.so you are saying your pump draws 10 surge amps ? my generator will make 26 amps on 120-240 setting.

Katahdin

I was just guessing at the surge wattage, the label says 5 amps at 1/2 HP, with a max rating of .8 HP at 6 amps.

The pump is a Franklin Electric Model 2445059004, I would expect a mep-802a to run it just fine. I have a little 10hp Briggs and Stratton gas genny that barely grunts when running it. It is a big improvement power-efficiency-wise over my old well pump.

franklin_well_pump.jpg

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something's wrong with your pump or 802a. Mine starts a 3.7HP air compressor. Generator grunts hard, but listening to the air comp, you'd never know it was on gen power.

Maybe your well pump is partially shorted. Get an amp clamp that can measure peak amps.

cuad4u

I have two wells on my farm. My main well is a 210 foot deep well with a 3HP pump that draws 23 amps at 240V when running and more when starting. The pump is at 180 feet and will give 40 GPM. This well and pump are fed from the electric system in my shop that is fed separately from the electric service for my house. In power outages I use my 002A gen to power lights etc in my shop and this pump. My 002A will start and run this 3HP pump easily.

My house and my second 140 foot well with a 1HP pump is fed by a separate electric system. I use a 003A gen to power my 4000 sq ft house during power outages. Of course I have to use a bit of load management. I do not try to operate the two AC units. One AC is 4 tons an the upstairs AC is 2.5 tons.

I think your 002A gen should start and run your 1/2HP pump EASILY.

FloridaAKM

I have a 1 hp pump in a well that is 125' deep & any of my generators from 3Kw & up will run it, even the briggs & stratton 3Kw would start & run it before it was stolen during the 4 hurricane disaster in 2004! A 1/2 hp pump should be no problem on your generator unless your genset is not putting out full power (really doesn't need it) or your pump has a serious problem. I will keep watching this thread to see what the outcome is.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
How far away from your generator is your well? You get a lot of loss the longer your cables are. This includes your existing wiring. When testing mine, my booster & well will not run with my 125ft cord plugged into the house but it will with a 25ft. My well is 360ft deep. Pump information is unknown but it is going on 26 years old. My booster is a 2hp 15 surge amp. Also, heck if the nuts on the lug connections are loose at all.

reboot

Got clamp on amp meter ordered ,to be here to morrow. I would say i have maybe 20' #4 electrical cable from gen to house.When you say booster pump is that to boost pressure? Be good idea if some how it was able to take some of the load away from well pump Also
a few months ago i was having long start times on gen removed fuel pumps to clean varnish build up.Got to thinking last night that fuel rail might not be adjusted right causing gen not to come up to speed when it loads up.

PoP PoP

You should make sure the knob/ selector inside the front cover is set to 120/240 single phase assuming it is not a 3 phase motor. (ONLY CHANGE with the generator OFF) Also make sure you are connected to L1 and L3 and the neutral connected as well as a ground rod.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks