• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a Power troubles

fa35jsf

Hey Yall! New here and this is my first post. The website looks awesome and there is a lot of good info here.

I just brought home my first 802 today from the auction warehouse. This thing is amazing. The outside is a little beat up as expected, but after a quick inspection it appears all fluids had recently been serviced. The oil filter didn't even have dust on it! So after addressing a dead battery it started on the second try.

So here is my problem. I am having trouble getting power to the output plugs. I AM getting power at the convenience receptacle but I can not get the "AC circuit interrupter" to close or the light to come on. Once, and only once was I able to get it to work and I confirmed I was getting voltage at the gen lugs.

Whats going on? Bad switch? Bad relay?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. For starters... did the machine come with any manuals? If not, have you downloaded them? A casual pass through isn't going to answer your question tonight... but the sooner the manuals become less daunting... the easier your life will be.

Almost all of the switching devices on these units can be intermittent. Depending on age, and usage.. this might be needing a good cleaning with contact cleaner. I would personally start by just cycling the switch a bunch of times to see if the mechanical contacts clean themselves.

Have you done any topic searches in the forum? I would venture a guess that 'ac circuit interrupter' might be a topic with some hits ;). The historical search tool is a great way to tap into the collective mind of all previous group members. Good luck in making it a smooth runner!

fa35jsf

Thanks for the reply. No manual. I bought it of a gov auction website for only $500 total, out the door. The fact that this thing runs and does seem to be producing power makes me think I got a heck of a deal.

I have looked through the manuals before when researching these gens before I bought one. I need to go back and download and print the doc for offline use.

I will try cycling the switch and maybe take a look at any relays. I do suspect it is a bad contact since it seems to be intermittent.

rogpike

Good call by coming on the forum. You can spend a LOT of time reading and interpreting the manuals, you can do a historical search on the forum, you can also ask a question and see if someone has a quick answer for your problem. I am on a ton of internet forums. Duramax forum for my truck, tractorbynet for my tractors and farm, lawn mower forum for my lawn mower, ziller electric forum for my old residential generator. The majority of what I see forums being beneficial for is doing exactly what you did, come on here, ask a question and hopefully someone that is seasoned will respond to your question. That is what forums are for. Good luck and hopefully other will chime in and assist you with what is most likely a common issue and what to look for vs. pouring over thousands of pages or thousands of posts when all you want is to get you new equipment up and running as soon as possible.

Bmxenbrett

For $500 and you alreaty saw it make power your in good shape. Read alot on here and look at wire diagrams. You will learn alot and along the way you will learn thing that you may need in an emergency. No power, no internet..how would you diag the problem?

fa35jsf

Thanks daybreak, I actually already used that same thread to find the filter list and bought some today on my way home

fa35jsf

I think I figured out the issue. Went through the troubleshooting procedures in the manuals and figured out this main relay is the issue. Hit it with an insulated screwdriver once or twice and now it works like a charm.

Edit: sorry, I don't know how to post pictures.

Edit2: figured it out!

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
What main relay? K1? If so, when you have a little time, take it out, and open it up. Sometimes K1 can have moisture in it. Sometimes LOTS of moisture. Or it had moisture at one time, and now has dirt,dust, corrosion and rust. You can fix that. There are several threads in the forum describing such things.

fa35jsf

Just an update: I took the K1 apart expecting to find some rust. In actuality, other than some very light corrosion it was spotless. I cleaned the contacts with some 0000 steel wool (the super fine stuff) and pulled out the gaskets and instead sealed it with automotive silicone (red stuff). That should keep it clean and dry for years to come.

Thanks for all the help! I'll post pictures of my machine in a new thread after I get it cleaned up and moved to its permanent location on my property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks