• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A revival

lindsey97

DSCN3287.jpgDSCN3292.jpgDSCN3291.jpgDSCN3290.jpgDSCN3289.jpgDSCN3288.jpg

Well since Ft. Riley is out of 5 tons for me to drag home, I have decided to begin collecting military generators. A big thanks goes to 98G for recovering it off base. It was missing a fuel pump, exhaust flapper, and a few other small parts. New engine, Letterkenny 2011 tier 2 reset, nice trailer with new tires. Took me a week of small repairs and chasing small parts, but she runs and makes electricity. Wonderful little machine, very impressed with the build and lack of noise produced.

Also a big thank you to guyfang for emailing the updated manuals, been reading them tonight; the second edition manual is much better and more informative.

I have come up with the idea of making a power distribution box out of a fat 50 ammo can, dwnorton is helping out with the wiring on that. Pics forthcoming of the finished box.

The only thing I have left to repair is the alternator. I read the manual, checked the FU1 fuse behind the panel, and changed the fuse with no improvments. I should be making almost 28 volts with the engine running, but am at 25.3 Batteries are new, and connections are clean, I have charged the batteries overnight with my Battery Tender. Oh well off to DC Ignition in Ada, OK for an alternator rebuild.

Last edited:

lindsey97

For a substitute pump I used Airtex E8131, from ebay. Found the suggestion of it's use here on SS. Had to add (2) pipe to JIC #4 90 degree fittings,
Gates part # G60499-0404. Then had a 8" hose made up, male JIC #4 on one end, female JIC #4 on the other. The 2 fittings on the factory fuel lines are JIC #4 fittings.

I was also missing my wing nut that seats and secures the air filter into the airbox. It is a Donaldson part, I tried one from my Deere 455G crawler loader, and it fit the MEP airbox perfectly. John Deere part # AH20849.

Picked up an air filter at John Deere while I was there, part# AH19847, same as Donaldson P181050 or the Wix 42276.

If more pics are needed of the fuel pump install please let me know.

lindsey97

Fixed my alternator today. It had a brush wire that came unsoldered. Borrowed a solder gun from a good friend, and fixed it in about 5 minutes. Re-installed the alternator, and it charges now at 20 amps and shut off charging at 28.0 volts.

I did find parts for the alternator at www.dbelectical.com. Search for Motorola/prestolite 8mr brush holder. Cost $12.60.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks