• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A short/fire

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a similar thread cutting screw for the sides on that same machine, just found the photos. I dont remember if these were #10 or #8s, but I thought they blended better with a touch of paint on them.

20180909_103435.jpg
20180909_111030.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go through the -24P and fine the OEM vendor and go with what the factory used, if available. Just with the addition of a rubber lined wire guide probably screwed into the bulkhead there to give permanent separation from the edge of the metal.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same problem on mine. Original, with 500 hours. I caught it before the sparks flew, while inspecting the machine with the top off. I used fuel hose to sleve the wires, and wire ties to hold them together. The insulation was chafed about 1/2 way through on one of the wires.

Guyfang

Staff member
Any gen set, should be checked as soon as you get it. Look at what is there, and consider what can happen in the future. It was SOP for us to use old, or new Inner tube, to wrap around wires, if we did not have time, and parts, to correct this problem. Anytime you see a wire, any wire, rubbing/touching metal, its should be addressed.

rcamacho

Finally getting around to teardown and wire replacement...

Looking at replacement terminals and wire now. Terminals are6 awg 1/2” and 1/4” ring nylon crimp. Wire is 6 awg milspec high temp M5086/2-6-9. Teminals are easy enough. Wire is nearly unobtanium and Very expensive.

Abrasion shorted wires from A2-C2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rikjames92

Im glad everything is ok. Im trying so hard to learn generators but its been a struggle. Can i ask why is ypur bussbar not attached on the TB2 lugs? I know the tm says its detachable but is there a reason you took it off? Thanks, -a humble humvee mechanic

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks