• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 802a start up

incorporatedbyinference

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After replacing all the hoses, filters and cleaning the tank. Today was start up day. Grounded generator and hooked up 3 stage 5kw heater. Read daybreaks start up list. Primed for 5 minutes (was beginning to wonder if new batteries had the stamina). I wear hearing aids and never heard fuel returning to tank. Checked for any leaks. Then turned to prime and start. I might have been a little skidish and not held in start long enough. Unit ran rough for 30-45 seconds then I shut it off. Went for start up 2.0, and generator fired right up. I let it warm up for 5min. Then closed cb1. Checked for voltage and added 3000watts. Unit blew a little smoke but cleared up. Hertz were a little low. Ran for 30 min kicked it up to 4000 watts. A little more smoke but cleared up. Hertz were around 56 on gauge and I checked w a meter 58-60. After about 45 min moved heater up to 5k. More smoke that did lighten up but never cleared up. The full heater load was reading just over 90% on the gauge temp was right around 200’. Oil presure 60psi. I stepped load down gradually then turned off. Let generator run for 5-10 min to cool down. Then turned off. Thanks to all the forums members who answered my questions over the last few weeks. Your a great group of people. Extra thanks to light in the dark for the help tracking down many of the parts I needed. I’m off to read the pms about possibly adjusting hertz level. Again thanks

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is your unit and how many hrs?

I have a low hour (218) 1994 model that behaves similar, in that it smokes some when a load is added, but burns clean after a few minutes of load. This isnt typical of my other units and it has led me to believe that the rings are a little stuck, so I threw some SeaFoam in the oil to help loosen things up again.

incorporatedbyinference

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is your unit and how many hrs?

I have a low hour (218) 1994 model that behaves similar, in that it smokes some when a load is added, but burns clean after a few minutes of load. This isnt typical of my other units and it has led me to believe that the rings are a little stuck, so I threw some SeaFoam in the oil to help loosen things up again.
I’m running seafoam pretty strong mix in the fuel. Did the seafoam in the oil fix your situation? This was my first time seeing a unit run in person. I assumed I was burning off carbon. 2009 650 hrs no reset tag.

Last edited:

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m running seafoam pretty strong mix in the fuel. Did the seafoam in the oil fix your situation? This was my first time seeing a unit run in person. I assumed I was burning off carbon. 2009 650 hrs no reset tag.

Still working on it, but Seafoam has done wonders cleaning up the crankcases of some other machines I have. I'd like to do a long 8 hr pull at 80% load to work it in.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read that in the tms. Maybe I’ll drain out a little oil insert some seafoam to the oil and do a long run next weekend. I’ll dial in the hertz then. What do you think about 61 w no load?
61 hz is fine. Unloaded, mine is around 61.5hz. There is an easy way to adjust droop on the engine if your set is sagging (hz) too much under load.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start out at 61.5, and load it up. If you end up back around 60 under full load, you are doing OK (provided its running steady with no real variation).

Don't expect for an 802 to hold 60hz at no load, and full load without having to adjust the frequency cable to compensate for the load. Try that and report back.

Guyfang

Staff member
Fool with the droop at your own risk. LITD's post above is on the mark. And diggers comment about long run at 80% is spot on. In my shop, nothing left to go back to the owning unit until it ran 6 hours at 80-90% without a problem. That will clear up any carbon problems, and give you a better feel for the set. Some problems can only show up in long term runs.

cbisson

I wanted to read up on the forums before adjusting the throttle. I remembered seeing some discuss some negative results from changing knob position.
Using the throttle/Hz adjust knob to fine tune the Hz for varying loads is ok. That's why its there. Where you can get in trouble is if you use it to idle the engine down for some reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks