• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803 A M8 % load gauge not working

jaybird67k

Don' take it apart yet, just probe the screws where you see the yellow bars to verify if they are connected internally. ( you can barely see an internal copper bar in the terminal if you know what you're looking for, but it's foolproof if you use your DMM.
IF by chance you find 1 or more missing connections you can create those connections by installing a short jumper wire between the screws of the missing connections and then retest.
Curious as to the reason they would be missing?

2Pbfeet

Curious as to the reason they would be missing?
Slip up during the original assembly of the switch, or a partial disassembly by a curious person who did not realize the chaos that can ensue when opening a switch like this up, or...

As @Ray70 wrote, it is easy and perhaps safest to put a jumper in if needed, but I would probe first and then get some contact cleaner / deoxidizer / protectant if needed. As @Guyfang wrote, I would not assume.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Ray70

In the case of the machine I worked on previously, every single jumper was missing. No way that happened by accident.
There are at least 2 different AM/VM switches that were used and the one I was dealing with had all internal jumpers ( I believe some others may have external metal bars bridging adjacent screws together similar to the S8 switch photo up above ) that could not be removed or accidentally dropped or lost. Only possibility is either a manufacturing defect or perhaps someone somehow ended up with a switch of the same "model" but different PN built without any jumpers. the machine was a tier 2 reset and had pieces of tape on the wires indicating that someone had monkeyed around with the switch previously.

jaybird67k

Follow up. So I traced the wire 162A all the way back to the meter and it was corroded at the eyelet on the right side of the meter. Replaced the eyelet now I'm seeing correct amperage at the wire through the gauge. Tested it up to about .68 amps.
The gauge was vibrating and is still a little wonky but I know I have a good connection now. I'll run it and hope the gauge starts working better. Was thinking of some contact cleaner inside the gauge. We will see.
Just happy to have that figure out with y'all's help.
Thanks so much !

Jason

Attachments