• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803 alternator test?

Waterhouse

Way back whe I bought my 803, I was reading threads on here and I came across a thread that had a few simple tests for the DC part of the generator. I remember thinking that’s good to know, but I was working getting the motor running at the time. Now that I getting somewhere on that front, I would like to run the tests to my non charging alternator. i could have sworn there was a stick, but I can’t find anything in my searches. I’m sure it’s right in front of my nose. Could someone point me to it?

2Pbfeet

Either of these?
or this one?

Waterhouse

Hey guys back again,

I saw something about the “FU-1” could stop the unit from charging. Didn’t even know what that was, but when I opened the front panel there was a spot labeled FU-1. And of course it was just a hole with dirt in it. I washed out the dirt and it looks like a socket for a fuse or a light bulb. Anybody got a source to complete this. What exactly goes in there? Can I just short the wires there for a test?

Ray70

That's your problem! That is the fuse holder for the alternator, supposed to be a 30A glass tube fuse in there, your typical 1 1/4" automotive style.
I bet @Light in the Dark or @kloppk have a source available for a new holder, unless you see a gray cap with 2 little metal tabs sticking out rolling around inside the control panel?? Quite often the caps are sitting in the machine somewhere if you got it from the auction.

Waterhouse

That would be an easy fix. I did get mine from an auction. I guess I need to search it. Mine looks like this right now. (not mine)

IMG_1426.jpeg

Is it possible to find at an auto parts store?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can choose to desolder whats there and use all new... or just use a black cap on a grey housing (which I have done countless times) and move on with life :)

Waterhouse

I can be really stupid some times. I have a working Mep802 right outside my shop. I looked and it has the same FU1. I pulled it and plugged it in the 803 and it charges. I still need to get one for it, but at least I know it works.

Guyfang

Staff member
Waterhouse wrote:
I can be really stupid some times. I have a working Mep802 right outside my shop. I looked and it has the same FU1. I pulled it and plugged it in the 803 and it charges. I still need to get one for it, but at least I know it works.

About 98% of the parts fit, between the MEP-802 and the MEP-803.

This is straight out of the -24 TM, troubleshooting.
19. BATTERY CHARGE AMMETER SHOWS NO CHARGE WHEN BATTERIES ARE LOW OR DISCHARGED.
Step 1. Check for broken or loose fan belt, paragraph 2-75-1.
a. If fan belt is not broken and tension is correct, do Step 2.
b. If worn or broken, replace fan belt, paragraph 2-75. If loose, adjust fan belt, paragraph 2-75-4.
Step 2. Check for defective BATTERY CHARGER FUSE (FU1), paragraph 2-25-2.

Not being mean here, but often spending a little time in the TM saves you lots of time and money later. Anytime I am getting ready to do some troubleshooting, I first drag out the book. Its way smarter than me.

Waterhouse

Waterhouse wrote:

About 98% of the parts fit, between the MEP-802 and the MEP-803.

This is straight out of the -24 TM, troubleshooting.
19. BATTERY CHARGE AMMETER SHOWS NO CHARGE WHEN BATTERIES ARE LOW OR DISCHARGED.
Step 1. Check for broken or loose fan belt, paragraph 2-75-1.
a. If fan belt is not broken and tension is correct, do Step 2.
b. If worn or broken, replace fan belt, paragraph 2-75. If loose, adjust fan belt, paragraph 2-75-4.
Step 2. Check for defective BATTERY CHARGER FUSE (FU1), paragraph 2-25-2.

Not being mean here, but often spending a little time in the TM saves you lots of time and money later. Anytime I am getting ready to do some troubleshooting, I first drag out the book. Its way smarter than me.
I have a terrible time finding anything in there. I need to get a printed copy. I have printed some pages.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a terrible time finding anything in there. I need to get a printed copy. I have printed some pages.
There are multiple variations of the TMs, with different trailing numbers (-10, -24, -24p, etc). They all house different pertinent info.

Happy to explain the differences if you aren't aware. Won't repeat what you already know, if you do. :)

Waterhouse

Today I load tested the generator to 75% and it worked fine. The temp guage went to about 210, but the air coming from the rad didn’t feel very hot. When I pointed a temp gun at the rad, it was only 170. Does that sound right? I had the door on the one side open because I had batteries outside. Would the door open cause it to run hotter?

Does anybody have a Source for the brass nuts on the main output terminals? I need all four. Good thing I had the 802 on hand for testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks