• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803 and general question about generators

fpchief

I have always been told that it is bad for a generator to run with a light load or no load. Is this necessarily true?

I got my mep for preparedness and also to power small tools in the field.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

craigc

The 803a's are to big to run small tools, do yourself and your new generator a favor and buy a cheap Chinese 3Kw generator for the tools. Use the 803A when you have a decent 240V load. The 803A will "wet stack" but if you load it up and run it for several hours it will clean up.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Let's talk about what you have for tools. You need to list what tools you have. What they draw for a load. How often you use them. Will you use some of them at the same time? Will you you have continuously running loads Like pumps? Tools that have a high draw on start up? Then you can decide if the set is right for you. You can still use it as you planned, even if it is "to big", you just need to load it up when ever it starts to wet stack.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won't harm it by running at lower loads, but it causes problems mentioned above. This is from the TM:
NOTE
The generator set can be operated continuously at any load from no load up to andincluding rated load; However, at light loads (less than 25% of set rating) and oily residue(unburned fuel oil) may occasionally be noticed in the exhaust system outlet and aroundconnection joints in the exhaust system. This residue is caused by the inability of the fuelinjection system to consistently meter the small amount of fuel required to operate at theselow load levels. It is not a defect in the fuel system. The oily residue could affect engine performanceand create a cosmetic problem on and around the generator set. Operation atrated load will bum off this oily residue. The length of time required at rated load dependson the amount of residue. The muffler may also need to be removed and cleaned if excessivebuild up occurs. This oily residue can be prevented by increasing the electrical load onthe set.

Guyfang

Staff member
You won't harm it by running at lower loads, but it causes problems mentioned above. This is from the TM:
NOTE
The generator set can be operated continuously at any load from no load up to and including rated load; However, at light loads (less than 25% of set rating) and oily residue(unburned fuel oil) may occasionally be noticed in the exhaust system outlet and around connection joints in the exhaust system. This residue is caused by the inability of the fuel injection system to consistently meter the small amount of fuel required to operate at these low load levels. It is not a defect in the fuel system. The oily residue could affect engine performance and create a cosmetic problem on and around the generator set. Operation at rated load will bum off this oily residue. The length of time required at rated load depends on the amount of residue. The muffler may also need to be removed and cleaned if excessive build up occurs. This oily residue can be prevented by increasing the electrical load on the set.
Not just could. It will, when bad enough. Other then that, I agree. BUT, this paragraph, about caused a civil war inside the TROSCOM/CECOM community. For years, it was considered "Only a cosmetic problem."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks