• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP- 803A All Weather Enclosure

69birdman

I may consider installing it on a utility trailer and storing it in the garage until needed.
It doesn't require a massive trailer, if you don't plan to hook onto it and haul ass off-road or across country. I found a used harbor freight folding 4x8 trailer on FB for $100, bolted it together permanent(non folding) welded 2 6"x8' sheets of 3/16 steel on top, this really stiffened up the trailer, then bolted the skids to it. I can hook onto it with my lawn mower and move it around. Btw I leave mine out in the elements.
As others suggested, hardware cloth works great for critter control underneath & air intakes. I just throw an old truck mud flap on top to keep leaves & stuff out.

Attachments

dav5

Both of the 803a's I have bought had been dented on the top from having stuff stacked on them. This caused water to pool and leak into the control area which causes things to rust. A custom made vinyl cover stops this. There is a thread on the site describing covers in detail.

enem178

Awesome ideas! Best case scenario I would just pull it out of my garage and fire it up on the driveway . Worst case I would want it behind my house (out of sight) and have to pull it about 100’ feet over grass to the rear of my yard. I think I would need decent size tires to make it over the grass. Good time to convince the wife why I need an atv 🤔

Last edited:

enem178

My trailer looks lower than it is, it's sat "there" for awhile. 12" tires give it about 7" axel clearance.
I had to wait until I got home to see the attachments....I would bill something like your trailer. The military trailers that some of the gen sets are on are nice but way to big.

Zed254

I hear you. I used to live in the country on 100 acres.....parked anything I wanted anywhere. I retired and move to the city and now I have to stack my stuff in the drive....no more free wheeling. City rules and such. Next door neighbor accused me of turning the neighborhood into an FOB with my generators and an M1101 trailer. He don't like green OR tan.

enem178

I hear you. I used to live in the country on 100 acres.....parked anything I wanted anywhere. I retired and move to the city and now I have to stack my stuff in the drive....no more free wheeling. City rules and such. Next door neighbor accused me of turning the neighborhood into an FOB with my generators and an M1101 trailer. He don't like green OR tan.
HAHAHA your neighbor needs to get with the program. I actually used to live about 15 mins outside of NYC.....now I'm about 40 mins out. I have a little more land (about 1/4 acres) which is a lot more than I had before but I still have to be mindful. LOL

TheAlfredo

Got to agree. As long as the exhaust flap stays closed, its going to be alright from elements. The critter problem requires a bit more thought. Mice, bees, mud dobbers and the like, not to mention these things seem to be hornet magnets, can be a problem. I lived for a year in Graham, not far from you. Read some of the threads about critter control. For my money, I have seen more damage from mice, then weather.
Ive been trying to find a way to control mice.

reset2

I still need to add the mechanical wire over the vents to mine, but was wondering are the holes small enough to keep mud dobbers out.
Also (need to do) don't forget the hole under the unit critters will find it also.

This SS site is great for sharing ideas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

69birdman

I still need to add the mechanical wire over the vents to mine, but was wondering are the holes small enough to keep mud dobbers out.
Also (need to do) don't forget the hole under the unit critters will find it also.

This SS site is great for sharing ideas.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I did mine 3+ years ago, and have only found 1 mud dobber in the coolant drain hose. Throw a couple moth balls in the cabinet as well. 👍🏻

mavucci

I have a few left. These are heavy aluminum (3/16" thick), that are laser cut and bent. I will see how much I have in them. They were not cheap as it took a whole sheet to make one.
Do you have any specs on the design of the hood or any CAD drawings that I can use to make my own hood? Right now I’m just using a stall mat tied down on top of the unit to keep snow and debris out from the top radiator ports. I’d like something like that hood so when I am at work the wife doesn’t have to jump on top of the trailer and pull it off before firing up the generator.
Thanks,
Mike.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Built a basic shelter with square tubing. Back is open so I can slide it over the 803. Front panel removable for easy access. Doors at each end when running. Metal roof, old deck board for siding.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks