• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Amperage/load questions

CombatJack

I was using an MEP-803 I had laying around for when Beryl hit here in Houston.
Installed a 50 AMP interlock to quickly plug in when needed.
My question is this: How can I get my generator under more of a load? When I get damn close to 50amps, I am still only running my gen at around 40% of its allowed load on the gauge. Experience has taught us all that running these generators under too small of a load for too long of a time will wet stack them, and cause issues. How do I get that gauge to the 75 or 80% mark without going over the allotted 50amps?! Yes, I read the manuals and didn't find ANYTHING that helps me with actually using the generator to pull power.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeepadict

Find a used electric range to use in conjunction with your regular load, adjust the number of burners and level to fit your needs. Opinions will vary as to how much and how often to include it, watching your machine for signs of wetstacking will be your best guide. That range should be enough to singularly fully load that machine for a regular maintenance run whenever you feel the need.

Also, don't trust your gauges without verifying them with a meter...an amp clamp is your friend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Scoobyshep

Quite simply Add load

Long answer: wetstacking can be an issue however it doesnt happen overnight. What i do is after an outage or on a periodic basis wire in a set of heaters and let it bake. If you are really concerned that it needs to happen now any heavy load appliance will do ( Bake a cake,plus you get cake!)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have an electric dryer, Range, or water heater. Might be a good time to do laundry or cook a nice meal
He won't run any of those if hes in 120V only, pulling 40% on the load gauge... because those are all 240V appliances. Thats why I ask the question above, what hes actually producing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks