• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Auxiliary Fuel Connection

Superfrank

Hello Everyone,

New to the site and so much info on here. I bought a MEP 803a Generator. Very low hours completely gone through. Very happy with it and I'm trying to set up the auxiliary tank. I need to know a couple of things

1) what the fitting size on the generator itself?
2) What size fuel line should I run?

I plan on going from a 210 gallon aluminum tank, (guy built the wrong side for a yacht so I got a good deal), through a marine diesel fuel filter water separator and finally into the generator. I live in the country and we've lost power out here in the last 2 hurricanes once of 5 days and the second time for 9 days. Never again, I hope! It's set up with an SE rated auto switch and remote start board. Works like a champ! Runs the whole house no problem. AC, Water heater, lights, fans, stove/oven, TV & Internet. I just can't cook a turkey in the oven and dry clothes at the same time. Truly a rock solid unit! The fuel tank is also my filling station for my tractors.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Attachments

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! And congrats on your purchase. It looks like you are getting it setup well.

Like Uniquify stated, the fitting is AN-5, which can be harder to source. Most race shops jump from -4 to -6. I just bought a bunch of -5 JIC fittings from www.discounthydraulichose.com/

Also +1 vote for 5/16" line unless you are running a long distance, then I would step up to 3/8".

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. As others have said, its an AN-5 (or 5/16 JIC in the aftermarket world). What fitting is on the tank, first and foremost? They make auxiliary fuel lines for these sets, so maybe you should use one of those, and just hook it up as needed (install an in-line valive to shut off fuel flow, so you can discontinue fuel line as needed)?

Superfrank

Thanks for the information guys. The tank has a 1/2" pipe thread hole so I can use pretty much whatever size fuel line I want I'll just need to get the appropriate fitting. I wanted to size the fuel line properly for the Aux. pump so I wasn't sure what to use. It's a short run probably 4' by the time I come out if the tank, to the filter and then back to the generator. I have some 1/4" stainless braided fuel line in the shop I was going to use if I could, is it too small? Should I go 3/8" or 5/16"? Thanks for the link to the hydraulic shop, and you're right I had a heck of a time finding AN-5 it was always AN-4 then up to AN-6.

Thanks again much appreciated!