• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a. Diesel sub-tank.

mesias

I'm considering that option... SS tube lines and compression fittings. I would even gain a spare fuel pump. My only concern is not having that built in tank in case the fuel in the sub base tank goes bad.
@Guyfang, Why would I need to move the fuel level switch if I reroute the fuel pickup line directly to the sub base tank? If I would use the master switch in the "PRIME & RUN" the machine wouldn't know the difference, right?

Guyfang

Staff member
The fuel level switch has TWO switches in it. The FL2 switch, is not needed if you just run the fuel pick up to the sub tank. But FL1, is the low fuel cut off switch. When the tank is almost dry, it cuts off the engine, to keep it in prime. Running an engine complacently out, is a pain to restart. Got to bleed it. I suppose, if you can live with it like that, then you don't need to move it. But after going to all the expence and trouble of making a sub tank, why not add the float switch?

OrthoGen

A local shop built a sub-base tank for my MEP-803, 100 gallons. Here is their information:

Engineered Manufacturing Corp.
3775 N.W. 81st Street
Miami, FL 33147
305-693-0089

I have the plans around, I need to find them and I can post them here. You can just increase the height if you need more capacity.

View attachment 801447
This is absolutely perfect and exactly what I'm looking for. Even better when it is located in town. It would be great if you could post the plans. Thanks again.

Last edited:

mesias

I just added the plans to post #17. I hope it helps...
BTW, I ditched the fill cap they use by default and purchased a Gates 31803 fill cap with a SS316 2.5" nipple.
In the drawings I added a plate on the left side to bolt on a pre-filter/water separator. You can keep it or just ignore it.
If you plan on not using the onboard tank, ask EMC to add another port of the switch as suggested Guyfang. In my case I don't really care since I'll have to monitor the tank constantly and I can live with that caveat.

OrthoGen

I just added the plans to post #17. I hope it helps...
BTW, I ditched the fill cap they use by default and purchased a Gates 31803 fill cap with a SS316 2.5" nipple.
In the drawings I added a plate on the left side to bolt on a pre-filter/water separator. You can keep it or just ignore it.
If you plan on not using the onboard tank, ask EMC to add another port of the switch as suggested Guyfang. In my case I don't really care since I'll have to monitor the tank constantly and I can live with that caveat.
Thanks again. Appreciate you including the plans. Will take the advice into consideration. I'm leaning on maintaining the onboard tank for the weekly starup and the monthly load test. Then keep the subtank 1/3 full for short emergencies and fill prior to large storms with high probabilities of affecting the area.

Zed254

I use jerry cans for my 802 when camping. It's an option worth considering.......

OrthoGen

A local shop built a sub-base tank for my MEP-803, 100 gallons. Here is their information:

Engineered Manufacturing Corp.
3775 N.W. 81st Street
Miami, FL 33147
305-693-0089

I have the plans around, I need to find them and I can post them here. You can just increase the height if you need more capacity.

View attachment 801447
Hi there,

A while ago, you kindly provided this reference for a sub-tank for the MEP-803. I am about to begin using this design. Have another question as I'm getting close to installing mine. How did you get the Gen over the tank? I have mine in a bit of a tight spot where I can not get a Bobcat to place it. MDC has regulations that a GEN can only be at more than 10 feet from any house opening. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OrthoGen

I hired a crane, it was a pretty simple process.
This is what Im thinking of doing. My only concern with that is the length of the boom from the street to the backyard. It is a small lot and doable. Was wondering if a jack or something else could be used.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*snip*

MDC has regulations that a GEN can only be 10 feet from any house opening.

*snip*
Are you sure that you read/posted that correctly? Most places have regulations that a generator is NOT allowed to be within a minimum distance (5 feet on propane/natural gas home standby units) of any house openings to prevent exhaust and carbon monoxide from entering the home.

"can only be 10 feet" makes it sound like either you have to find a spot that is exactly 10 feet from the openings, or within that amount. I would expect more than 10 feet away to be allowable.

OrthoGen

Are you sure that you read/posted that correctly? Most places have regulations that a generator is NOT allowed to be within a minimum distance (5 feet on propane/natural gas home standby units) of any house openings to prevent exhaust and carbon monoxide from entering the home.

"can only be 10 feet" makes it sound like either you have to find a spot that is exactly 10 feet from the openings, or within that amount. I would expect more than 10 feet away to be allowable.
You are correct, the posting should read "more than 10 feet from any house openings" Thank you for pointing that out, I'll correct above for the record.

jmenende

So im looking for a subtank for my 803a and found this pic. Does anyone if this is actually a subtank, how many gallons it holds or perhaps a model number to get some specs on it.Screenshot_20230205_221208_Chrome.jpg

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So im looking for a subtank for my 803a and found this pic. Does anyone if this is actually a subtank, how many gallons it holds or perhaps a model number to get some specs on it.View attachment 890381
That is part of a Drone support trailer. I have two trailers with that plat form. 30 Gallon fuel tank, also a spot to put a mep 531a and lock into position. plus the mep 803a20220813_135923_resized.jpg

jmenende

Ok. Looks like a small tank in the front only. I thought the whole base was a tank so its not worth it to me. I wanted to put my 1040 on top and slide it into my shed.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would it be an option to have a local fab shot to build one out of steel or aluminum?

Maybe not the lowest cost option but a sure thing to get exactly what you want.

jmenende

Would it be an option to have a local fab shot to build one out of steel or aluminum?

Maybe not the lowest cost option but a sure thing to get exactly what you want.
Absolutely...but at todays costs it can get expensive. Plus, I doubt id be able to get the same grade quality material for the long haul. It also looks tacticool and that makes for good conversation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks