• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Engine Sludged Up

fosgittr

A friend of mine has a MEP 803a that was used for an off grid recreational planting farm (legal here in Michigan). It has 6800 hours and stopped running one night. I brought it into my shop to take a look and have found a broken connecting rod. But the bigger problem is sludge, and lots of it. Wondering what the group thinks about rebuilding vs just junking the engine. Not sure if I could ever get this sludge cleaned up.

Yuck!

20200513_193111.jpg20200513_192945.jpg20200513_192937.jpg

Last edited:

jamawieb

I'm blown away! Looks like they never changed the oil in the poor machine. That sludge is from years of neglect. Lots of carb cleaner will get it but I bet it's like tar now. It would be easier to find a replacement before trying to clean that thing out. But I will say I'm impressed for 6800hrs with that much sludge in there. Also noticed, no wet stacking in the exhaust so they didn't run it underloaded.

BobbyT

You can definitely clean it, replace the rod and go with it, but if it was me and i had one broken rod and that much sludge, i would assume any of the other components (rods, bearings,etc.) aren't far behind that one broken rod and either go full rebuild or find a replacement to swap in.

Ray70

If you decide to rebuild, carefully inspect everything remotely close to that bore, look up and check the bottom of the lifter / metering pump "ledge" to make sure it didn't get whacked by the bust rod. I've only seen 2 motors with broken rods and both had block damage in this area.

America

They surly didn’t change the oil. I would think that those components are all effected by that much sludge/lack of oil change so they need to be replaced. I mean I’m assuming they didn’t change the oil here.

Kenny0

This would be a good time to use a pressure washer. Messy but will save a lot of time. Wear a full face shield, hat and old clothes. Use detergent and a 15 degree nozzle. Hot water would be better. Pressure wash before major disassembly so you aren't chasing small parts.

Chainbreaker

By chance did your friend run this generator on high concentrations of Biodiesel (B20 or greater) or any % of Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO)?

I've seen very similar sludged up crankcase pictures from engines that were run on high concentrations of Biodiesel or WVO for long periods of time.

Here is an interesting article on effects of Biodiesel with some pictures: https://breakingenergy.com/2014/07/30/fuel-stability-problems-challenge-fame-biodiesel/

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I'd strip it down completely, have the block dipped and all the oil galleries flushed, check the crankshaft for scoring, check the cylinder for battering from the broken rod, replace what's worn and have the head done.

Do it right, do it once.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I think my time and sanity is worth far more than pissing it away trying to deal with this literal mess, and the unknown still to be discovered. These are not rare someone with common sense needs to step up and say JUNK time, expand your vision, at 6800 hours the IP is at its useful life before costly repairs this item alone is expensive. bearings effort, nope I would not take it if given to me.. best: mac/mc

reset2

I'm too far away but offer it (engine, or gen set, frame, or all) through steel soldiers for free and I'm sure someone in your area will gladly take it. There will still be some parts that are needed out there. At a shop hourly rate it would not be cost effective and it the owners did not spent the time of money changing the oil they will not pay for a complete overhaul.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Reset2 offers wisdom in a good suggestion where my sarcasm and attitude was no real help. His best point is well stated, if the owner/s did nothing in the past to help extend or protect the set, they will gag at really making meaningful repairs.. mm

fosgittr

Or, save it till we have another lock down! Give you something to do. Parts unit. Sell odds and ends to recoup some dough.
You pretty much hit it on the head. Upon further investigation today, I have determined that the broken rod has done damage to the cylinder and also the portion of the block along side the tappet for the injector pump. Given this, the god-awful amount of sludge, and the potential damage to the crankshaft I am giving it last rites. I will salvage the good parts and call this engine DOA.

America

You pretty much hit it on the head. Upon further investigation today, I have determined that the broken rod has done damage to the cylinder and also the portion of the block along side the tappet for the injector pump. Given this, the god-awful amount of sludge, and the potential damage to the crankshaft I am giving it last rites. I will salvage the good parts and call this engine DOA.
Is the broken set for sale?

edit: Never mind I see your too far from me.

NEIOWA

Looks like something some potheads would do. I'd think any self-respecting pothead would only be using offgrid solar. Nasty ole dino juice is just not prog.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks