• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a expansion/freeze plug leak

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Have an 803a. One expansion plug is leaking. Was hoping someone had at least the hole measurement so I can get a replacement plug for it. Anyone replace one yet? TM part number is for a complete kit. Was hoping to get the one single piece.
Thanks
Will
explug.jpg

Dock Rocker

Have an 803a. One expansion plug is leaking. Was hoping someone had at least the hole measurement so I can get a replacement plug for it. Anyone replace one yet? TM part number is for a complete kit. Was hoping to get the one single piece.
Thanks
Will
View attachment 732700
You would think if we could put a man on the moon we could come up with a better design than a stupid freeze plug.

I can’t give you much help but I do feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmxenbrett

You might have to take it out to measure it. It would be a great time to add a block heater if your in the climate.

Make sure you get the correct sealant to install the new ones and flush the system when your done. The goo coming out of that engine dosnt look good.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the plug without distorting it too badly and measure it then go to an auto parts store and get a replacement. Dorman makes all sizes plugs.
If you cant find a replacement metal one, use an expanding rubber one that has the nut on it that you tighten. A very thin skin of silicone sealant on the edge to insure the seal.

When replacing a metal one, be sure the hole is clean and dry. I use a piece of fine emery cloth to clean the block surface of the hole and a very thin (very thin) coating of Indian Head gasket shellac as a sealer. Use a socket that fits the ID of the plug and an extension to tap the new plug into place

I've replaced dozens of these on various engines this way over the years and never had one leak.

Ray70

once you get the size measured, might want to buy some spares, unless you plan to change them all now.
That one looks rotted so I'd assume there are others that aren't far behind... and you know they won't let go until the worst possible time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks