• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A getting it to work,,,my first one!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling the sending unit out is too much work. I roll up my sleeves and fondle both floats till they are loose. I dont have trucker forearms so I can fit them inside the tank. :)
I gotta admit that getting out the sending unit had some challenges...but now that I have done it I don't think a 30 minute replacement time would be out of scope!! Mine did not change resistance at any float location so I had to take it out and get it working again...the reaching in and trying to move it idea would be great...Unfortunately I do have Paul Bunyan forearms since I am an avid woosplitter and axe chucker!! I have my own gym too so I haven't missed any weight time either this year...I don't close! Question though since I do have a 14 year old that isn't huge yet how do you reach in there?? Does the filler neck that pops up come out? I played with that a few days ago but couldn't see if it did pull out completely and I don't use force to get anything apart unless I know how it does so!
Thanks!
Rich.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta admit that getting out the sending unit had some challenges...but now that I have done it I don't think a 30 minute replacement time would be out of scope!! Mine did not change resistance at any float location so I had to take it out and get it working again...the reaching in and trying to move it idea would be great...Unfortunately I do have Paul Bunyan forearms since I am an avid woosplitter and axe chucker!! I have my own gym too so I haven't missed any weight time either this year...I don't close! Question though since I do have a 14 year old that isn't huge yet how do you reach in there?? Does the filler neck that pops up come out? I played with that a few days ago but couldn't see if it did pull out completely and I don't use force to get anything apart unless I know how it does so!
Thanks!
Rich.
Im able to stick my hand through the slits of the filler neck just enough for my fingers to roll the floats.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im able to stick my hand through the slits of the filler neck just enough for my fingers to roll the floats.
That makes sense...I just looked at mine and it has a screen attached to the filler neck that pops up...I will explore this some more and see if it does come out as I do think I could get in there then, if need be, to at least test the float for the gauge-->adjust height and such for the level sensor would be nice to get it accurate.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Don't try to re-invent the wheel.
Start here in this thread.

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts | SteelSoldiers

The 2nd post has quick links to all that you need to know.

If you go with the well nuts, only use the proper nitrile rubber. Pay attention to tightening spec.
I completely appreciate that sticky you did!! I ordered parts by referring to it to get the ones I think I need now plus an extra or 2! I did get the nitrile plugs->I think you posted about that too...I have a nice torque wrench that's seen hundreds of transmission valve bodies, so I'll be set there too...since there hasn't been one that's left the factory without some type of modification or improvement that can be done is why I'm hitting this genset with a pencil n plastic hammer...it's ingrained in me to question. I hope it's ok to put up pics of the parts I got...I don't think any include who they are just brands and prices as of Monday...the fuel filter is wrong though as that price is for 2 not 1.
Thanks again for all your help.
Rich.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes sense...I just looked at mine and it has a screen attached to the filler neck that pops up...I will explore this some more and see if it does come out as I do think I could get in there then, if need be, to at least test the float for the gauge-->adjust height and such for the level sensor would be nice to get it accurate.
OK, I thought you had removed the filter container with the metal screen. You rotate it till you can pull it out and you will have that container with the fuel cap out of the way. Then you have enough space to put your hand in through the filler neck slits.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I thought you had removed the filter container with the metal screen. You rotate it till you can pull it out and you will have that container with the fuel cap out of the way. Then you have enough space to put your hand in through the filler neck slits.
I just found out that the center popped up and locked in position to fill with fuel...I fiddled with it some that day and tried to take it out but it didn't want to easily so I left it...I'll dig some more tomorrow again and see how it unlocks! Pouring rain here today so I'll keep the fuel tank shut!
Thanks!
Rich.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Remember, the A3816 nitrile wellnut is tightened to 40 INCH-lbs.

Just make sure you have the little rubber gasket ring in place when putting the canister filter assembly back together.

NOTE: after changing both fuel filters.... turn unit on to prime & run for a long while to fill the filter all up with fuel. When they are full, (listen to the sound change) all the excess simply continues through the return fuel lines back to the tank.

The 90 degree hose barb helps when trailer mounted. If just a skid, then a straight 6 inch threaded copper pipe piece works.

dav5

Having gone through the process of replacing the well nut a couple of times I would advise you to throw the new nitrile well nut in the nearest garbage can and read the "ultimate well nut". I have a torque wrench and know how to use it but the nitrile well nuts made me want to tear my hair out.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having gone through the process of replacing the well nut a couple of times I would advise you to throw the new nitrile well nut in the nearest garbage can and read the "ultimate well nut". I have a torque wrench and know how to use it but the nitrile well nuts made me want to tear my hair out.
That looks like a nice fix for sure!! I already have these on the way...I hope to not have trouble and hope they last a long time!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I got the new gauge the other day which is exactly the same as the one I burned up! Thanks Light man!! Does it work?? Yes...the gauge reads a touch under full...the sending unit resistance wire is now at 56 ohms when it was 20 ohms before I took out the sender...I haven't run the fuel down yet to try and reach in there and wiggle the float but chances are even after I do and it may work until it moves around again with fuel fluctuation it'll stop working again....I would like to get a new one just so it's done acting like it might work some then get stuck again...the tm shows part number 127676,,green mountain pops up with a good number but none in stock...so I am in the hunt for one now...I may post up in the parts wanted section next if that is something people do!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts/spares are very slowly making it's way here! USPS is overwhelmed. Hopefully get the return line and the other few things I ordered. I have 2 main fuel filter water separators...I assume the one on the genset has not been changed...I usually see a marker with a date written on it...I may change it just to...pray for me on that one!! The oil I'm going to change now as I don't see any reason to wait! Oil is in the house though...beyond honey outside right now! Hope today finds all ok in this crazy world.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took 2 weeks but I finally got the return fuel line in the mail!! Took all that time to come from Baltimore 45 minutes north to here! The nitrile fuel return seals look like they should work fine. I will be going at this repair tomorrow!

Attachments

cbisson

Took 2 weeks but I finally got the return fuel line in the mail!! Took all that time to come from Baltimore 45 minutes north to here! The nitrile fuel return seals look like they should work fine. I will be going at this repair tomorrow!
Where did you order the fuel return line from? Is it an exact replacement for OE?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you order the fuel return line from? Is it an exact replacement for OE?
I'm not sure if it's exactly stock by the TM...but it is the spec size of 3.5mm inside diameter with the mesh outer and diesel use...I couldn't find that size anywhere but online...there's a pic of the company I bought it from, a post 1 January. Mine got shipped out of Baltimore but I think they have locations around the US.

cbisson

I'm not sure if it's exactly stock by the TM...but it is the spec size of 3.5mm inside diameter with the mesh outer and diesel use...I couldn't find that size anywhere but online...there's a pic of the company I bought it from, a post 1 January. Mine got shipped out of Baltimore but I think they have locations around the US.

Thank you.

cbisson

Saw your pic of the fuel/water separator so I thought I'd pass this link along.

Zed254

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm not sure if I got the number from his post but it looks like, according to it, I did get the correct fuel line. Brand and part number.
Thanks for verifying!
Rich.

cajungirl12

Will it show power being made if the VR fuse is blown? I removed it now but it is in the picture....I really think I may get the VR that the user Kurt has put together...from what I've learned the fuse blows because the VR goes bad...I want to try a fuse just to see if it'll make power at all but not to hopefull on that one...I look forward to getting that and possibly the remote start deal too!
Who is Kurt? I’m new to Steel Soldiers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks