• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a high idle

P32pac

Finally had a chance to pull fuel pumps. Found some interesting stuff pics attached. Definitely the pumps are an issue. 3 of the 4 small fuel rail bars are broken off and one looks damaged as well. They were very loose and leaky when I got the unit so I hope someone just swapped out good ones and through theses in. The fuel rail looks in good shape no apparent damage. Let me know what you think. Thx and Happy Fourth early. 3D501C6F-8A58-4C34-8FFB-054EC53AB42A.jpeg3D501C6F-8A58-4C34-8FFB-054EC53AB42A.jpegBEEC9755-FE7B-4914-A0E3-150098438B51.jpegB4477530-0190-411B-B86F-BB3F4CBA99C8.jpeg

Attachments

Ray70

With the side cover off you will have good access to see if there's any junks in the bottom of the block, but stick your fingers up in the area around the fuel rack and the lifters and make sure there aren't any chunks sitting up on the ledge.
Poke around on the internet looking for new metering pumps.
Also check the UK's Ebay site, they have more lister petter parts than the Domestic US site does.
You can also check Mayi Diesel, I have bought lots of other LPW4 / DN4M parts from them before and prices are really good.
Other than that you can try looking for someone selling used parts. Going straight to Cummins will possibly break you wallet!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes give Gary Jones a ring
A good source for reasonably priced, new Injection Pumps and other Lister Parts is Gary Jones at:

Diesel Electric Services

303-720-3936

Internet: gsj@gci.net

Few people have the knowledge that Gary does with the LWP series engine for the 802/803 genset.
(y)

jamawieb

Looks like someone didn't know what they were doing and tried to pry the pumps out when the fuel rack was not in the fully closed position. I did that the very first time taking the pumps out because I didn't read the TM's. I would take the side cover off to gain access to the bottom of the engine. You don't want to put all this work into it and then have the motor crash due to a piece of metal in the pan.

P32pac

Finally had a chance to work on my generator. And all I can say is thank you to everyone on this site. I’d also like to thank Gary Jones. I got parts and a lot of information from him. I put a video up on my YouTube if anyone is interested in watching it. YouTube site is p32pac1. The generator runs great now. The only thing I need to do now is a full load test. Once again thank you and I’ll keep you posted on any changes.

ron87777

I am replaceing the Fuel Injection Pump on my Lister Petter LPW2 MEP802a .
I received the new pump in other day , when I moved the shutoff lever back and fourth, it has a lot of resistance, is this normal.

ron87777

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess should have explained it better. The new fuel pump is out of the engine. When I move the lever on the new fuel pump it has a lot of resistance, is this normal.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well its possible its got some corrosion internally from sitting on a shelf. When they are sticky from sitting a long time in a machine, with no use, they can be put into a container of carb cleaner for a few days, then articulated and bench compressed to make sure everything moves as intended. Do you see anything that looks bent, or that would otherwise restrict the rotation?

Ray70

The other reason it may feel sticky when loose in your hand is that the plunger is fully extended and the spring is causing the plunger to "Bottom out" in the body.
Once installed the tip of the metering pump touches the cam follower and slightly compresses the spring and plunger, eliminating the excess friction seen when not installed and letting it move easier.
New pumps also tend to seem a bit tighter than used ones simply because they aren't worn in at all yet.
Go ahead and install it and use your finger to see if the rack moves freely once the pumps are all installed.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to soak it in ATF and compress the plunger several times while submerged, before installing.
Incase the internals have any gum or surface rust from sitting on the shelf.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks