• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A in 1/2 ton pickup truck bed ?

kfoster

I am attempting to purchase a MEP-803A for the first time, not a trailer mounted one. I have an 1997 Chevy K1500 Pickup truck. Anyone ever pickup one of these in a standard pickup 6Ft 1/2 truck bed or would it be better for me to rent a trailer?

Thanks for the help!

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will fit and payload will be fine. The loader will need longer than std forks or you should remove your tailgate for loading.

How you planning to get it out?
If he is like me this is how I got mine home then just used a 4x4 spanned across like 6 rafters in my garage (with 2 upright 4x4's on each end) and used a come along to pick it up off my truck by about an inch and just drove out from under it and just ratcheted it down onto blocks

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will fit and payload will be fine. The loader will need longer than std forks or you should remove your tailgate for loading.

How you planning to get it out?
Yeah, getting it out is fun!! I had a hill I parked on and pulled it out with 1 inch pipes under it, so it rolled easy. I took the tailgate off, though! It pulls easy on the grass with a 4 wheeler.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah with standard forks... just take along a 36" piece of a 2x6 or something. Place it against the face of the machine, they put forks under the set the long way. Place in bed as far as they can, then use the block of wood at the front of the machine, and they push it the rest of the way in.

At home, just take a length of rope, chain, etc and pick up the front (2) lift hooks, and pull it towards the tailgate to where you can pick it up.

2Pbfeet

I am attempting to purchase a MEP-803A for the first time, not a trailer mounted one. I have an 1997 Chevy K1500 Pickup truck. Anyone ever pickup one of these in a standard pickup 6Ft 1/2 truck bed or would it be better for me to rent a trailer?

Thanks for the help!
Easy peasy. I just did this. As @Light in the Dark says, use forks the long way under the genset to load it. The normal rails for forks will protect the floor of the generator. A 2x6 or 6x6 block can help push the genset farther into the bed.

I used forks to unload mine; just be aware that using forks lengthwise, there isn't anything to prevent the genset from tipping sideways, so plan accordingly.

While you can load a short bed pickup, I would think about the unloading part first; it may be easier for you to unload this from a flatbed trailer, depending on what you have. There are several threads here where people have skidded generators out of the back of pickups.

Good luck!

All the best,

2Pbfeet

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks