• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A looks brand new - no reset tag

at2fisher

Hello. Hope someone can help me. Today I helped a neighbor with his 2007 MEP-803A generator. The generator has 15 hrs on the meter and looks brand new but does not have a tier 2 rest tag on the unit. I cant believe that a 2007 generator only saw 15 hours of run time. Looking inside the baby looks almost new so the hours would justify the condition. I could see if the hour meter showed 15 hours but inside the covers the generator looked weathered and used I would say the hour meter broke and got replaced in the field and would have an unknown number of hours.
Is there something that I am not aware of? All the genders fir auction with similar low hours also look new and they also don't have reset tags.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

nextalcupfan

I bought a 2002 803a with 148 original hours.
It's last service was the 15th of May 2006, it had 96 hours then.

If that hour meter is correct then it's still in its break-in period, make sure you put a good load on it with break in oil.
I think break-in is 100-200 hours?

I've noticed a good way to tell if its been reset is to see if it has the quad fuse mod.
That bulletin was issued in 2009, and from what i've seen from pictures on surplus sites is if it has the mod (and was built before 2009) it almost always has a reset tag.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I bought a 2002 803a with 148 original hours.
It's last service was the 15th of May 2006, it had 96 hours then.

If that hour meter is correct then it's still in its break-in period, make sure you put a good load on it with break in oil.
I think break-in is 100-200 hours?

I've noticed a good way to tell if its been reset is to see if it has the quad fuse mod.
That bulletin was issued in 2009, and from what I've seen from pictures on surplus sites is if it has the mod (and was built before 2009) it almost always has a reset tag.
The Quad fuse MWO was MOSTLY, applied in the field. Later, much later came RESET, and I in the begining, up to 2011, I often saw reset operations that did NOT install the MWO. So the MWO can not be equated to RESET.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The quad fuse is not a good indication of anything frankly. There were TONS of low hour sets moved out years ago, for real short $. If I could only buy back every single one, at what I sold them for then!

Guyfang

Staff member
What guyfang says is correct, I guess it's more of a rule of thumb I came up with.
It should have been a Army rule of thumb. But often wasn't. As an ITT contractor over here, I went all over Germany, doing gen set things. Our Army boss sometimes asked me to "Look in" on some of the other maint contractors, that worked for "another" firm. According to the General Maint Contract, I wasn't allowed to do that. But because I knew most of the folks running the RESET operation here, people turned a blind eye. Only one shop was installing the MWO, up to the time I stopped working. And they only did it because a SUPER CECOM LAR, had given the shop a box full of parts required to do the MWO. I did see, about the time I stopped, the MWO applied to sets coming out of Letterkenny. But done with inline fuses, that looked like they had been bought from K-Mart. It worked, but was NOT pleasing to the eye. The same LAR gave me boxes and boxes of the MWO parts, and I installed them where ever I went. Towards the end, I wanted to jump from a bridge. But the number of uninstalled sets was always very high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks