• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A / MEP-802A Water Temp Gauge

Waukesha

Hi everyone - I picked up my generator on Friday, and got er' installed by mid day on Sunday. Still have to finish running the electrical conduit/wire - but not bad for a weekends work!

Model: MEP-803A
Year: 2007
Hours at time of purchase: 116
Price paid: $1,500 + taxes/GL fees (price was higher than auction average, but location was ~100 miles from my house._

Work needed to get unit running:
  • Add Oil
  • Add Coolant
  • Swap out fan belt
  • Install two optima red top batteries
  • Diesel Fuel

What unit still needs:

• Water temp gauge appears to have water damage and is inoperable.
  • Lean to roof

I ran the unit at 48amps @ 240v for ~2 hours on my water heater element load bank. Never burped or sputtered. Took this load right away without chugging or anything. Switched loads on and off, including 0-100% loading with only the slightest white smoke.

Question for the group: Does anyone know where to purchase a new (or at least functioning) Beede water temp gauge?
  • NSN: 6685-01-369-6549;
  • Beede part# 945329

I'm not having much luck online..

*Update*

I ordered one of these today from the auction site. It's a Beede model# 947886. I'll report back later this week when it arrives. I didn't find any specific cross reference confirming that this will work. Just compared pictures online.

Beede 947886.jpg

And since everyone enjoys pictures:

At Depot.jpg

Platform.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, interested to see how it's permanent foundation does with sound and vibration. Can you post some pics of the water heater element load bank, I'm interested in making one myself. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Waukesha

Very nice, interested to see how it's permanent foundation does with sound and vibration. Can you post some pics of the water heater element load bank, I'm interested in making one myself. Thanks!

Water Heater Load Bank.jpg

My soil is too rocky to reasonable dig posts. This was the next best solution. Hopefully it will hold up.

Here is a pic of the water heater setup. Kind of ghetto to be honest, but it does the job.

Components to setup:
(1) breaker box
(3) 30a breakers
(10 ft) 8awg SOW cable
(2) 3500w 240v water heater elements
(1) 4500w 240v water heater element
(1) vessel to mount it in (Galvanized horse trough in this case..)

If I were to do it over again, I'd build a unit out of dryer elements with a fan. Much more compact for storage and easier to set up. Cost would be about the same.

Like Guyfang said, as long as it does what you need. I just a house with a pool, and was thinking of warming the pool water up during a bank test ( without anybody swimming). Heck I may as well send the heat to the pool instead of making it hotter outside.
Thanks for your pics, I may go your route and see if I really want to make the manifold or stick with the dryer elements

Waukesha

Like Guyfang said, as long as it does what you need. I just a house with a pool, and was thinking of warming the pool water up during a bank test ( without anybody swimming). Heck I may as well send the heat to the pool instead of making it hotter outside.
Thanks for your pics, I may go your route and see if I really want to make the manifold or stick with the dryer elements

I have a hot tub and have considered timing the water change outs with load testing. I bet my 11.5KW's would heat up that 500 gallons in a few hours :). One thing I've noticed using my well water is, the elements rust pretty bad. Not sure if that's normal or not. I've always had gas water heaters.

If you do go down that path, please share what pump/manifold setup you go with. I might follow in your footsteps.

lonesouth

I used water heater elements in PVC as a closed loop from my pool cleaner pressure pump back to the pool. Temp rise was marginal, even at 16.5kw. Probably still better than sending heat into the atmosphere, but don't expect you are going to heat 20,000 gallons in a couple hours.

Waukesha

I used water heater elements in PVC as a closed loop from my pool cleaner pressure pump back to the pool. Temp rise was marginal, even at 16.5kw. Probably still better than sending heat into the atmosphere, but don't expect you are going to heat 20,000 gallons in a couple hours.
If 1KW = ~3,412 then 16KW BTU that would put this in the range of a medium size pool heater. Probably looking a 1-2 degree rise per hour with a pool that size. Certainly better than dumping it to the atmosphere! Or in my case, my lawn...

Updated original post.

Bmxenbrett

Those water temp gauges arnt the most acurate things. Mine reads around 200 but my temp gun shows the hottest is 170*. The TM should have a spec on the sender. You can match this up with another gauge more read available, or just get a new sender too. I had to do this with a fuel gauge on mine. Ended up with a stewart werner 24v gauge for $46 shipped.
Your giving that generator a real nice home...also nicer than i bet it ever had before. Lol

Guyfang

Staff member
No, the TM does not have a spec on the sender. Manufacturer data below. Call and ask.

INDEX INDUSTRIES, INC.DBA INDEX SENSORS & CONTROLS 7112 265TH ST N W STANWOODWA98292-6293

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

O thought it did. I found my fuel sender specs there. Usualy a 24v gauge and sender shouldnt cost you more than $75 anyway.

Waukesha

Those water temp gauges arnt the most acurate things. Mine reads around 200 but my temp gun shows the hottest is 170*. The TM should have a spec on the sender. You can match this up with another gauge more read available, or just get a new sender too. I had to do this with a fuel gauge on mine. Ended up with a stewart werner 24v gauge for $46 shipped.
Your giving that generator a real nice home...also nicer than i bet it ever had before. Lol
Valid points. I'm really looking to maintain the stock aesthetics. Even if the gauge runs high/low, as long as it's consistent, it will alert you to a concerning or different state.

As far as a nice home; I'm hoping that if I treat it well, it will treat me well for years to come :)

Just checked - the gauge is out for delivery If it dries out this afternoon I hope to get around to installing it.

Project update: Outside electrical run. Just need to terminate wires in the panel.
Electrical Hooked Up.jpg

Last edited:

Waukesha

Update:

I received the gauge Wednesday but due to weather couldn't get it installed. I finally got around to installing it last night. The gauges are physically the same size, and look identical with the exception of two differences: 1) the face plate (obviously), and 2) the grounding screw on the OEM gauge is longer than the replacement that I purchased.

Reading accuracy: The new gauge and the old one run on a slightly different scale. The new gauge states that I'm running at 200*, slightly above the normal operating temp of ~180*. However, the needle is pointed in the exact same position at 200* on the new gauge as the old gauge was pointed at 180*. This leads me to believe that the internal drive is the same.

I'm not going to mess with it any more for now. I know that if the new gauge is reading higher than 200*, I have a problem. Directionally accurate gauging... It's on par with the rest of the gauges again!

jamawieb

Update:

I received the gauge Wednesday but due to weather couldn't get it installed. I finally got around to installing it last night. The gauges are physically the same size, and look identical with the exception of two differences: 1) the face plate (obviously), and 2) the grounding screw on the OEM gauge is longer than the replacement that I purchased.

Reading accuracy: The new gauge and the old one run on a slightly different scale. The new gauge states that I'm running at 200*, slightly above the normal operating temp of ~180*. However, the needle is pointed in the exact same position at 200* on the new gauge as the old gauge was pointed at 180*. This leads me to believe that the internal drive is the same.

I'm not going to mess with it any more for now. I know that if the new gauge is reading higher than 200*, I have a problem. Directionally accurate gauging... It's on par with the rest of the gauges again!
I believe some have used resistor's on the gauge to give a more accurate reading. There are a few threads with the information in it but I can't remember which ones they were.

Zed254

I had a similar malfunction with Water Temp gauge on my MEP803A and bought one that reads max 280F.....and provided WAY inaccurate readings. I then found a used marine diesel engine gauge on the auction site that reads max 240F - like the Beede one that failed. I did not want to change out the sender and this one is working well. So a 24volt / 240F replacement worked for me.

Attachments

coxju04

I really like how you did your set up. I'm guess you are going to put a roof over it? Please update when finish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks