• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a performance - power outage.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a rain/ wind storm on Monday which resulted in over 1500 seperate power outages initially impacting 130k customers in New Brunswick.

803 has been flawlessy powering the house for 62 hours and counting. ( we are in a rural area , likely to be another 24 to 48 hrs before power is restored)

Fluctuating load from 5% to 85%. And averaging 1.5 liter/hrs for fuel ( .4 US gallons). All other parameters are staying well within range.

Acquired the 803a in 2019 , I'm very thankful to the advice/ help received at the onset from forum members to make it operational and again a year and a half ago when I had to replace S8 and the main stator.

I have over the last 3 years used the set a few hours at the time but never for such an extended period. Will admit that it's nice to have something this reliable when really needed :)

Attachments

Ray70

Here in RI we also got heavy rains and strong winds with some extended outages. I was pretty lucky and only lost power for a few hours, but barely noticed thanks to my MEP's.
I had a couple past customers call me over the last couple days saying how impressed they were with their machine's performance, being that this was the first time they needed it for an extended period.
Also had 1 customer call who's 802 wouldn't start. Quickly diagnosed it over the phone as a bad fuel pump ( at 10:00PM ) luckily I had 1 on the shelf and he was up and running by midnight.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still use 5gal cans here to fill my sets, filled from a 300gal storage tank of off road diesel. Whenever that tank is filled, (usually when down 100gals) I add 1qt ATF and a container of Power Service anti gel treatment.
My diesel gets rotated at least one a year as I also use it in an on property only farm truck and tractor.

I try to get the big tank filled on the price dips if possible. So far, so good.

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a rain/ wind storm on Monday which resulted in over 1500 seperate power outages initially impacting 130k customers in New Brunswick.

803 has been flawlessy powering the house for 62 hours and counting. ( we are in a rural area , likely to be another 24 to 48 hrs before power is restored)

Fluctuating load from 5% to 85%. And averaging 1.5 liter/hrs for fuel ( .4 US gallons). All other parameters are staying well within range.

Acquired the 803a in 2019 , I'm very thankful to the advice/ help received at the onset from forum members to make it operational and again a year and a half ago when I had to replace S8 and the main stator.

I have over the last 3 years used the set a few hours at the time but never for such an extended period. Will admit that it's nice to have something this reliable when really needed :)
UPDATE

96 + hours and counting . Operating flawlessy and all readings within range. I'm just curious what could explain the slight variation in oil pressure ( no concern but as a learning point). TM specifies a range of 20 to 60 psi. When operating at less than 6 kw ( < 60% load) oil reads 40 psi. 6 to 10kw oil reads 35 psi. Could it be simply because engine temp increase from 175° to 180° ?. ( 180° thermostat on the set). I check the oil level on regular intervals and all good. Thanks

Attachments

Chainbreaker

UPDATE

96 + hours and counting . Operating flawlessy and all readings within range. I'm just curious what could explain the slight variation in oil pressure ( no concern but as a learning point). TM specifies a range of 20 to 60 psi. When operating at less than 6 kw ( < 60% load) oil reads 40 psi. 6 to 10kw oil reads 35 psi. Could it be simply because engine temp increase from 175° to 180° ?. ( 180° thermostat on the set). I check the oil level on regular intervals and all good. Thanks
Just curious... what Brand/Weight oil are you running and how many hours on oil if you know?

2Pbfeet

UPDATE

First, take the gauge readings with a big pinch of salt. The value is in the right range.

Temperature increases do lower the viscosity of the oil slightly, (but the effect is small, 1-2% range) and it also changes the size of small gaps in bearings. I suspect that the larger effect is that under load, the gap on the unloaded side of the crankshaft bearings expands and allows (slightly) more oil to flow. 175 to 180F is 79.4 to 82.2C

So, as you can see, not much of an effect.

It is also possible that the pressure sensor itself has a temperature induced shift of its own, unrelated to load. This isn't a calibrated $4,000 sensor...

I would not read much into the shift.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, take the gauge readings with a big pinch of salt. The value is in the right range.

Temperature increases do lower the viscosity of the oil slightly, (but the effect is small, 1-2% range) and it also changes the size of small gaps in bearings. I suspect that the larger effect is that under load, the gap on the unloaded side of the crankshaft bearings expands and allows (slightly) more oil to flow. 175 to 180F is 79.4 to 82.2C

So, as you can see, not much of an effect.

It is also possible that the pressure sensor itself has a temperature induced shift of its own, unrelated to load. This isn't a calibrated $4,000 sensor...

I would not read much into the shift.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
Thanks

Denvercaitland

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost power Dec 18th around 09:20, it returned Dec 19th 17:05.
Between solar and my MEP-802a was able to keep my batteries topped off (almost zero solar on the 18th).

The weekly generator test kicked in on the 19th at 17:30 which made me think that we lost power again.

The two-wire start board from kloppk did a great job and let my solar system control the MEP-802a allowing me not to have to worry about my house or my wife back home. I was able to then spend time as part of our volunteer fire department/EMA director opening roads, emptying basements and coordinating with the power company to log road issues that I needed them to address.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on what Kurt reports. I find the sound from the 1030 to be less noticeable in the house. The 802 has a lower frequency sound that goes through walls better where the 1030 has a higher frequency sound (due to the 3 cylinders vs 2) and that shift is just enough to make it less noticeable when you have something between you and the machine.

Standing right beside each machine, the difference is less dramatic. But put some space and a few objects between you and the generator and the differences are much more noticeable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks