• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Remote start options without ATS but leveraging remote start kit.

impi

Hi

First time poster here.

Let me start of by thanking all for this valuable source of information. This forum has enabled me to get my MEP803a serviced and up and running in no time.

I am located in South Florida and as such the backup power is primarily incase we have a hurricane come through like we did last year - the 5k Briggs worked fine on the essential circuits, but I figured it can be done better with more capacity.

My setup is as follows:

MEP803a is installed on a 4" reinforced concrete pad about 80 feet from the house. The connection to the house is via 6 AWG stranded cable installed in underground conduit. Connection to the house is via interlocked back-fed breakers onto the panels which sits behind a main disconnect for the generator.

I have 2x200 amp panels for my house - I have two separate well pumps, and two AC units (2 ton and 5 ton), as well as a pool pump which take up a fair number of circuits thus the reason for the 2 panels. I did not see the need to invest high $$ for a whole house system with automated transfer switch and load management. When stuff goes south my primary concern is keeping refrigeration (for food) and the well pump (for water) going with some lighting and ceiling fans powered up - Pool pump and AC units are not regarded as critical load and I switch them off during an outage.

The challenge I have with the unit sitting 80 feet outside is that when things really start blowing and we're all hunkered down it's not really feasible / safe to step outside to go and fire up the generator. The switching I have installed are all inside my garage and reachable when we're locked down.

The question I have is as follows:

I know there is a third party remote start option which can be installed on the MEP in order to allow for ATS auto start. Can this component be installed and utilize a third party controller such as the one listed below on Amazon in order to facilitate a manual remote start, monitoring and shut down of the unit ?

https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Contr...D=51v4ZWz%2B7VL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to potentially achieve this ?

Regards

Impi

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend buying the third party auto-start that is specific to the MEPs and install a switch next to your breaker panel to start the generator.

impi

The question is not really around the MEP remote start kit which I realize I need to get either through Greenmountain or from Innova. It's more around what sits on the other end of it. From what I've seen on the MEP kits it's essentially a controller board that gets wired in to the MEP with a control wire that runs from it. My question is around what to stick on the other side of the control wire ? A toggle switch, a key switch that mimics the starter on the MEP, or something like the controller switch listed above. Some pointers would be appreciated.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a simple switch. Single pole single throw is all you need. Could be an old light switch or a fancy lighted toggle switch. Build an arduino microcontroller to sense when the power goes out and close a relay. Pretty much anything you like.

Connect the two wires together and the generator starts. Separate them and the generator shuts down. It really is as simple as that.

jamawieb

Just to help you. Buy the unit from inovahightech.com because they are the original manufacture. Green Mountain just bought a bunch when they first developed the boards and are reselling them. Peter is the owner of inovahightech and will be able to answer any questions that may arise.
With my personal unit, I used a long range 24volt wireless remote as seen in the attachment https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-INC-24...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. This way all I have to do is hit the ON switch on the remote and the unit will automatically start. This is the easiest/cheapest solution I have found. Hope this helps

impi

Thank you - I was dreading having to run another wire just for the control function having just run and buried the feed lines.

I already have the stuff in the basket on Inova's website. The rf remote start will make life easy.

Just to help you. Buy the unit from inovahightech.com because they are the original manufacture. Green Mountain just bought a bunch when they first developed the boards and are reselling them. Peter is the owner of inovahightech and will be able to answer any questions that may arise.
With my personal unit, I used a long range 24volt wireless remote as seen in the attachment https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-INC-24...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. This way all I have to do is hit the ON switch on the remote and the unit will automatically start. This is the easiest/cheapest solution I have found. Hope this helps

lynn896

Thank you for the info in this thread! I picked up my MEP-803A last Thursday, and am laying a concrete pad for it this weekend. I'm an old **** and don't move around very well, so after reading this thread I ordered my remote start kit from Peter at Inovahightech.com, and ordered the 24volt wireless remote which jamawieb referenced on ebay. Now I can safely do everything from within my garage! Fantastic time reading the generator threads for information!:D

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With my personal unit, I used a long range 24volt wireless remote as seen in the attachment https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-INC-24V-20A-on-off-relay-switch-with-2-long-range-remote-control-RX408/351255791630?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. This way all I have to do is hit the ON switch on the remote and the unit will automatically start. This is the easiest/cheapest solution I have found. Hope this helps
Thanks Jimmy,

the wireless transmitter is pretty neat!
Peter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks