• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A Starting Issue at Control Panel

rar730

So I have this 803A that when I turn the control switch to run all I get is a clicking sound at what sounds like the starter solenoid. However when I depress the booted armature (governor/fuel regulator) just above the oil fill and use the dead crank the motor starts and runs if I keep the armature depressed. I get power to the output lugs and convenience receptacle. I know that it is something simple that is causing this happen electrical and such and did not know if anyone else has had a similar issue.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you turning the "control switch" (S1) to PRIME/RUN or START?
Need to turn it to START to engage the starter.

In the PRIME/RUN position the fuel pump is energized and makes a clicking sound.

rar730

Start switch completely turned clockwise in start mode. No sound from Aux or Primary fuel pumps. They did for the last 6 months, but all the sudden now just the click at start. Corrosion on terminals possibly from sitting outdoors?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have TM 9-6115-641-24?
It has a Troubleshooting section on "Fails To Crank" that will walk you thru how to troubleshoot the fault.

Bmxenbrett

Hold it in crank and fiddle with the diodes behind the control pannel. There lined up vertical on the back left behind the control pannel. There connection is just wite wraped around a post, not the best designed thing.

jamawieb

Maybe the actual switch itself is bad. The older plastic ones are known to fail. Someone else had this same issue about a month ago, there was a thread on it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Download the wiring diagram here - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ucd1TGFTw_b0dqdURiS3lOZlU

Look at the letters in the triangles. Those are the test points that correspond to the terminals in the diagnostic plug. Look in The TM for the terminal designations of that plug. With that information you can do a LOT of troubleshooting very quickly.

In my opinion this is the absolutely easiest and quickest thing to do to narrow down your problem.