• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803A turns off slow

mdhc3

Yes I did. I actually noticed the old one was working when I first got there and the unit was cold. I decided to switch the new one in anyway. The next morning when I turned it off it was back to its same old Behavior. So I let it cool off and then it's cycled like normal.

mdhc3

Sorry it took so long to thank you guys but I finally have the unit working properly. Turns out it was the adjustment of the fuel cutoff solenoid. Thanks again!

mdhc3

Happy 4th everyone! Not sure if I should start a new thread or all another question in this one so here goes.

My mep803a is set up in an of grid desert property where we spend weekends.

It is now running through a 6k inverter with built in transfer switch.

Since I have owned the unit the percent rated current switch had not moved. If I tap on it it jumps a little but doesn't move under load. Even with the unit off it sits between 25 and 50 percent. I have removed the wires and reinstalled and turned the little black screw with no change.

The deeper problem which I'm not sure is related is that when I use the clothes dryer in my trailer it trips the overload as the heating element is first warming. The dryer has a stated wattage of 5500. I can run both air conditioners, fans, lights, although the lights go through a converter in the trailer because they are dc, without tripping the overload.

If my batteries are full the inverter will run the dryer so the generator should be able to easily handle the load.

Via ebay I purchased ideal part number 35.7003 that the post said was a replacement for the original percent rated current gauge. But the instructions state that it is for 400hz, not 60.

I'm really good at following directions but have little experience with reading the wiring schematics. I read in other forums that the overload relay, gauge, and AM/VM switch all relate to each other in respect to the overload circuit.

So I guess my 2 questions are-

Will the 400hz gauge work?
Will the gauge stop the flow of energy?

Also, as mentioned in other forums I used contact cleaner on the am/VM switch and exercised it but it didn't help.

Thank you again to everyone for all the help!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What lugs are energized (whats your voltage reconnection switch set to)? And how do you have the AM/VM gauge set on the front of the control panel. Pictures help where words fail.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read in other forums that the overload relay, gauge, and AM/VM switch all relate to each other in respect to the overload circuit.
In addition to what you listed S8 the Voltage/Phase reconnect switch inside the control cube is in the loop too.

Also, as mentioned in other forums I used contact cleaner on the am/VM switch and exercised it but it didn't help.
You'll need to do the same with the S8 switch. Need to pull some of the top cover off to get to the guts of S8 to spray it.

When you have the genset running and feeding the inverter the generator will be powering all the AC loads hooked up.
Plus the inverter will be switching to charging mode and it will also be putting load on the genset in addition to your normal AC loads.

Last edited:

mdhc3

I will clean s8 when I get there.

I would have to run it in battle short to use a clamp on meter. By the time I turn on the dryer I can't get to the generator fast enough to test before it faults. Is it generally considered ok to use battle short during test procedures?

mdhc3

Hello everyone,

So the gauge behaved differently this time. It read up to 80 percent. It still doesn't return to zero when powered down but its definitely better. Using battle short I was able to get through the spot where it goes in to overload protection. I didn't watch the gauge 100 percent of the time but I never saw it get over 80 percent. While it showed 80 percent I used a clamp on meter and got 35ish amps and 37ish on the other leg. I had no idea I was consuming that much power!

0708180952a.jpg0708180952.jpg0708180950a.jpg

mdhc3

I probably should have said that it did go in to overload protection but kept running because of battle short mode. Is one of the components note likely to fail or should I just start testing everything per tm?
Thx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks