• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A whole house standby generator

Chainbreaker

Right there in the cap.
View attachment 912379
Ahhh, much better view of that cap than the other smaller pictures where I looked but couldn't make out a vent hole. (y)

The only other consideration that I ran across during "my local wet winter climate" was with today's formulation of ULSD diesel & its hygroscopic nature was my need to use a desiccant type of vent filter to trap moisture before it enters a 50-gallon tank mounted on genset trailer. I first experienced fuel degradation in my main tank with a slimy gummy substance coating fuel tank and rust at top of tank so I knew with storing 50 gallons it would be problematic.

I installed one of those desiccant filters that contains water moisture absorbing beads in it that are visible and turn purplish/black when beads reach saturation. Turns out if you can fabricate a bead holder type filter out of PVC pipe (YouTube hack) with a top that you can remove you can then recycle the beads by heating beads on sheet pan in oven to evaporate the moisture and reuse them again & again. Easy to maintain & eliminates expensive throw away bead filters.

Not sure if that is an issue in your location...however with 100 gallons of today's ULSD stored onboard with vent-breathing over time with any high humidity exposure it can eventually impact fuel quality if not consumed frequently even with the best fuel additives.

Edit: Here is just one example of mfg of commercially available desiccant type diesel tank moisture filter. Their Guardian series is recommended for diesel fuel applications. Or...You can fab up a DIY one using PVC pipe & commercially available silica beads incorporating some fine metal screen material & coffee filters if you're the creative type.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks