• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A won’t start and making a terrible noise.

sigley89

My genset was running well with no issues. Then one day out of nowhere after starting, it made a terrible noise then it stopped making the noise and continued running fine. Now when I attempt to start it, it sounds like the starter is just free spinning. The genset has under 1000hrs and I just did an oil change 15-20hrs ago.

Here is a video of the terrible noise.

I’m hoping that it’s just the starter that went bad and not something worse. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before? I’m not at home to look at it and the video was sent to me by my wife.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My MEP-804 made a similar runtime sound when it ran - just after I acquired it. I believe it was a fuel delivery problem and I too had just PM'd it. I cleaned out the fuel tank and PM'd it again.

Interestingly, my starter was bad. Your video doesn't show it being started, but mine had the typical Bendix wind out sound. I replaced the starter and it starts without issue.

The runtime sound never came back, but I still get white smoke as I saw in your video. I doubt any of this is a help, but at least we can commiserate.

Last edited:

sigley89

My MEP-804 made a similar runtime sound sometimes when it ran just after I acquired it. I believe it was a fuel delivery problem and I too had just PM'd it. I cleaned out the fuel tank and PM'd it again.

Interestingly, my starter was bad. Your video doesn't show it being started, but mine had the typical Bendix wind out sound. I replaced the starter and it starts without issue.

The runtime sound never came back, but I still get white smoke as I saw in your video. I doubt any of this is a help, but at least we can commiserate.
the white smoke is because it’s -30F degrees outside. On a warm day it only smokes for 1-2 seconds on start up. I’m hoping it’s just the starter dying.

Ray70

That rattley sound does actually sound like a possible issue wit the starter gear banging into the flywheel while it's running.
I believe you and Evvy have the right idea, pull out the starter and check if the bendix has an obvious problem, such as broken spring etc.
If you don't see anything obvious, hook it up and spin the starter while it's out and listen for strange noises. It's possible the sprag inside that engages the gear to the motor shaft is damaged or broken.

Before you remove it, start it up and put your hand on the starter and see if you feel anything odd or if the starter starts getting hot.
It's also possible that starter may be staying engaged. if that's the case it will quickly get hot and start to smell like a burnt clutch.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the video it appears that the set is just being started and the bad noise comes and goes for a few seconds and then stops.
My guess is that the "crank disconnect" circuit in the set is failing causing the starter to grind during the start cycle. The crank disconnect circuit is there to inhibit the starter once the engine gets over about 900 RPM. The major players in that circuit are the MPU, S14 and relay K16.
The MPU detects the engine RPM, sends its signal to S14. S14 measures the signal to determine if the RPM in over 900. If it is then S14 causes K16 to open disabling the starter.

sigley89

If you don't see anything obvious, hook it up and spin the starter while it's out and listen for strange noises. It's possible the sprag inside that engages the gear to the motor shaft is damaged or broken.

Before you remove it, start it up and put your hand on the starter and see if you feel anything odd or if the starter starts getting hot.
It's also possible that starter may be staying engaged. if that's the case it will quickly get hot and start to smell like a burnt clutch.
The starter free spins now and just revs and dosent engage the flywheel anymore. Im not there in person but that’s what it sounds like over FaceTime.

In the video it appears that the set is just being started and the bad noise comes and goes for a few seconds and then stops.
My guess is that the "crank disconnect" circuit in the set is failing causing the starter to grind during the start cycle. The crank disconnect circuit is there to inhibit the starter once the engine gets over about 900 RPM. The major players in that circuit are the MPU, S14 and relay K16.
The MPU detects the engine RPM, sends its signal to S14. S14 measures the signal to determine if the RPM in over 900. If it is then S14 causes K16 to open disabling the starter.
I do have your wireless start installed on it. I’ve been thinking about what the issue could be. I do remember changing some setting around in the controller and extending the warmup time for winter and setting a 4hr max run time for it. When I did that I noticed the starter engage time was like 35 seconds ( I can’t remember) I changed it to like 8 seconds or something. If it is my starter I think I burnt it up starting it for 35 seconds everyday for almost 8 months.

sigley89

Reminder. You should never hear starter clash. The only time that happens is if the MPU is bad/out of tolerance. So DO check it, and reinstall, properly.
Unfortunately I wasn’t home at the time and the wife was operating it. She knew it sounded different but wasn’t sure if it was bad. She started it again to video it for me. I was asleep (working nights) and woke up to the video :/. The sound quit so she let her run.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the remote start the starter is still automatically disabled as soon as the generators crank disconnect system sees the engine RPM over 900 regardless of how long you have the cranking parameter set to in the remote start.
If the generators crank disconnect system is not working then the starter could grind until the 8 seconds has elapsed.

Ray70

If the starter is currently free spinning and not engaging the flywheel then the starter drive is damaged, but as the guys have pointed out above, it may have been the MPU or something else in the starter disconnect system that failed, causing the starter to not kick out at 900 rpm.
So that needs to be fixed first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks