• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A won’t start - high temp warning light

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a 803a that normally runs just fine. Tried to fire it up this morning due to power outage but it won’t crank. I get the high temp warning fault LED in the run position. Batteries fully charged. Cranks fine via dead crank switch. In run/aux position I hear the aux fuel pump, but in regular run mode I don’t hear the main fuel pump. Did a fault reset, but high temp fault comes back as soon as I move S1 to run position.

With no power and still dark outside, I’m not able to look at my manuals pdf file stored on my computer.

Any quick checks or bypasses I can do to get this thing going to power the house?

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I flip the battle short switch on, I do hear the main fuel pump in prime & run, but it still won’t crank.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a 803a that normally runs just fine. Tried to fire it up this morning due to power outage but it won’t crank. I get the high temp warning fault LED in the run position. Batteries fully charged. Cranks fine via dead crank switch. In run/aux position I hear the aux fuel pump, but in regular run mode I don’t hear the main fuel pump. Did a fault reset, but high temp fault comes back as soon as I move S1 to run position.

With no power and still dark outside, I’m not able to look at my manuals pdf file stored on my computer.

Any quick checks or bypasses I can do to get this thing going to power the house?
As highlighted above.......this the great reason why having a paper manual (or at least some excerpts) ready at hand is a very good thing to have.

Glad you got the set going.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ For some reason disconnecting the coolant switch wires and leaving them open circuit made the high temp warning LED go away. I too would have thought the temp sensor would be short circuit when temp was ok and open up when too high. Guess its the other way around.

@Farmitall Definitely a good reason to keep a set of paper manuals around!

Guyfang

Staff member
1. Remove coolant high temperature switch
2. Suspend coolant high temperature switch in a container of 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water so that sensing element is completely immersed but not touching sides or bottom of container.
3. Suspend a reliable thermometer in container. Do not allow end of thermometer to rest on bottom of container.
4. Set multimeter for ohms and connect between coolant high temperature switch terminals. Multimeter should indicate open circuit.
5. Gradually heat antifreeze/water mixture, stirring so that heat will be evenly distributed and observe thermometer
and multimeter.
6. At between 220 and 230 °F (105 and 110 °C), multimeter should indicate continuity.
7. Replace coolant high temperature switch if it fails to operate as above.
8. If replacement is not needed, install coolant high temperature switch.

Or, using your multimeter, measure the Continuity of the Over temp switch, as is, cold, in the engine block. If the contacts are closed. Its bad. If its open, THEN I might perform the test as stated above.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^ For some reason disconnecting the coolant switch wires and leaving them open circuit made the high temp warning LED go away. I too would have thought the temp sensor would be short circuit when temp was ok and open up when too high. Guess its the other way around.

@Farmitall Definitely a good reason to keep a set of paper manuals around!
You are right, its a normally open contact switch. Been a few years since I have had to swap one out. Its one item that rarely goes bad, but does happen.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @Guyfang exactly what I was looking for.

803A still humming along powering the house with the coolant temp holding steading right around 180F per the gauge. I thought I had an extra coolant high temperature switch on my parts 802A, but I guess I already used it on another set.

Anyone got a spare temp switch they want to get rid of?

The 803A is parked in my shop extension, connected to a manual 100A transfer switch, which in turn is connected to a 400A automatic transfer switch that powers both the house and the shop.

IMG_5174.jpeg

My primary backup generator is a 20 kW Kubota that I'm currently working on:

IMG_E5139.jpg

Should be getting the last few parts for it in this week.

Back wall of shop where power comes in and then runs up to the house. From left to right: 400A meter base, 400A fused disconnect, 400A transfer switch, junction box (gutted 400A meter base):

IMG_2584.jpeg

The box on the far right at a 45 degree angle is my 225A solar sub panel.

You can never be too prepared for a power outage!

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Light in the Dark Thanks for the link. Yeah, I definitely don't need 5 of them though. Sent you a pm.

Kubota engine is a V2003T (2.0 liter turbo) with a rated output of 30.6kW @ 1,800 rpm. The gen head is a Mecc Alte 20kW. I added a DSE 7410 MKII controller which has an ethernet port so that I could fully automate when the generator comes on, does its weekly exercises and monitor the engine and generator from anywhere.

kubowiringdone-01.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks