• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A won't start

Guyfang

Staff member
If its nosediving like that, you aren't saving it.
Depends. The Optima is a battery that often, when its put on a SMART charger, can be saved. I used to use a dumb charger, to blast the optima, for an over night charge. THEN use a smart charger on it. And back then, an Army smart charger, would not even hold a candle to one you can buy today. Like Dan said, why not try it?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 34/78 is the OEM size, but for my inventory needs its way easier to just stock a single size that fits both 802s and 803s. I have not found any performance difference to speak of with the different size.

steelydan

I tried charging the Optima with my Battery Tender, but it still wouldn't start the genset.
So I drained the water seperator (though it doesn't look at all like what the manual shows..)
Then, before I went out and bought new batteries, I decided to hook up my Harbor Freight 12V Jump Starter in place of the dead battery, and it worked. Started right up.
So now I'm thinking it may be cheaper @ $80 and more versatile to just buy another HF Jump Starter, keep them charged in the house, and hook them up to the generator when I need to start it.

quartermeter

I tried charging the Optima with my Battery Tender, but it still wouldn't start the genset.
So I drained the water seperator (though it doesn't look at all like what the manual shows..)
Then, before I went out and bought new batteries, I decided to hook up my Harbor Freight 12V Jump Starter in place of the dead battery, and it worked. Started right up.
So now I'm thinking it may be cheaper @ $80 and more versatile to just buy another HF Jump Starter, keep them charged in the house, and hook them up to the generator when I need to start it.
Po