• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803a

motormayhem

Hi Guys,
Looking at an Mep-803a coming up for auction on gov liquidation. I haven't bought from the auction site before or have much info on the genset. How are they for reliability and parts availability? Anything special I need to know about bidding on them on gov liquidation? Fees, forms, etc?

CT-Mike

Most people will tell you not to buy unless you can do an onsite inspection. Reliability wise these things are designed to run 24/7 for several thousand hours before needing major maintenance. Engine parts are available for the Lister-Petter LPW4 engine pretty readily, and you can get equivalent filters at NAPA, etc. Fees are listed on GL's website (currently around 12.5% I believe), and you will be liable for your state's sales tax if applicable. Shouldn't need any other forms AFAIK.

Chainbreaker

If you can't preview in person, study the pictures very very closely, are any parts missing? In particular, pay close attention to the exhaust stack. Does it have a flapper on top of it? Is it closed or open? The biggest issue, in reviewing other buyers issues over the past couple of years, is water entering through the exhaust and working its way down into engine internals. If that has happened you may end up with a parts donor machine.

Edit: Personally I would not bid on any that are not buttoned up tightly - missing oil, fuel, radiator caps, etc. You don't know what may have made its way into those internals. If missing, most likely a sign that the engine is suspect.

Last edited:

csheath

Trying to be high bidder on day 2 just runs the price up. Figure out how much you are willing to pay and enter it in the final minutes assuming the bid hasn't already exceeded that amount.

joshua1001

yea dont get caught up in the hype, Im watching a few in case a great deal comes up. One is low hours and already up 400 past the nice 803a I got a while back and the auction doesnt close till monday. Its low on hours but shows signs of lots of use. There is also one missing many parts and even the wiring harness is missing in an area and is almost over 400 already. Go figure.Of all the ones i looked at in during my last pickup all but one were crap, when that one comes up for auction ill be all over it.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in Greenville SC and I repair them! I have quite a few 802, 803, 804, 805's in now to be checked out. I have seen several older units that have been thru tier reset more than once. I try to find units newer than 2009 that have not been reset. I go thru units purchased mainly from GA, SC, and NC for customers that buy them on GL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks