• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A

Jeff H

If one buys an MEP-803A only to find the generator head side not producing electricity, how easy is it to buy new parts as needed, to include a whole new generator head if needed? Are the parts available?

Last edited:

z2003k

If one buys an MEP-803A only to find the generator head side not producing electricity, how easy is it to buy new parts as meeded, to include a whole new generator head if needed? Are the parts available?
There is an 803A generator head available on the big auction site.

Jeff H

I don't own one yet. My question is how easy is it to get any parts that might be needed for the generator. Are take out parts and the occasional NOS surplus finds the only source? Or are the Onan parts readily available new from Onan or an Onan distributor?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts do come up from time to time on the big auction site (and elsewhere) of generator heads and components for these machines. Primarily people breaking them down JUST for parts.

They are overbuilt units... most owners should go a lifetime with the genhead needing nothing (in civilian use).

Scoobyshep

From Onan not too likely. Theres parts floating around. Not a mil unit but I once sent out an old steam turbine head to a local motor shop and had it rewound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a milspec custom head. That is no longer a contracted part, and per prior agreements, select part availability is in place to keep the solution with parts for a determined amount of time. The 3rd generation of MEP has been fielded since 2013, so even those are now coming up to auction.

Parts become available as solutions are phased out, but often only as NOS govt purchases sold at auction, or by machine tear down.

Edit: I am totally talking out of my ass. Its possible the new gens use the same heads, but probably not likely. Id have to hit the TMs to know for sure.

America

If one buys an MEP-803A only to find the generator head side not producing electricity, how easy is it to buy new parts as meeded, to include a whole new generator head if needed? Are the parts available?
these sets are being parted out on eBay pretty consistently, enough to where parts are very easy to find.

Guyfang

Staff member
Edit: I am totally talking out of my ass. Its possible the new gens use the same heads, but probably not likely. Id have to hit the TMs to know for sure.
No your not. The probability of them using major parts in the AMPS gen sets is about par to me going to the moon. Having said that, very small things, have been over the years, reused. But they are nickle and dime stuff.

these sets are being parted out on eBay pretty consistently, enough to where parts are very easy to find.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, not always easy, and not always cheap. Depends on what your looking for, and what some folks think are parts worth selling. Find a rear motor mount, for a MEP-804A in flee bay. Give you 12 months to find it. Good luck.

jamawieb

I don't own one yet. My question is how easy is it to get any parts that might be needed for the generator. Are take out parts and the occasional NOS surplus finds the only source? Or are the Onan parts readily available new from Onan or an Onan distributor?
I think everyone will agree, the likely hood of a total gen head failure is slim to none. Ive bought over 2,000 units (802a&803a) and have never seen a head failure. We've seen a couple of people on the site diagnose the rotating diodes being bad but that's it (easy fix). There are several large army surplus stores (Delks, Owls, etc) that part these units out if there is an issue with the engine so parts are out there. I would be more worried about the engine being seized due to water in the exhaust. Just my opinion.

Ray70

Yes! it seems like most of the decent ones have almost dried up and the current auctions are mainly either beat down high hour units or neglected machines with parts missing, bad motors etc. HOWEVER.... people are still paying more than ever for some of these crappy looking units! All I can do is cry when I think of all the nice low hour 10K's on trailer I sold retail for less than current auction junk prices.
Occasionally a decent set will come up, but gone are the days of seeing 10 or 20 nice sets a week rolling across the block. :-(

Guyfang

Staff member
This last trip to Graf, I saw no TQG's. I did not inspect the Motor Pools, but always look at them as I drive by. So maybe the last of them are bout gone. The last of the last is always the sets that have fallen prey to MEL. So do not expect pristine set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks