• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803A1 versus MEP003a

steve9257

Anyone have experience or knowledge about the MEP 803A1 generator set?

I am considering purchasing the MEP003a set but ran across the MEP803A1 set.

Just wondering what your thoughts might be. The MEP803a1 seems to be a better choice (wireless brushes, etc..).

Thank you - Steve

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve,

They are basically the same generator. Both are brush less generators. Both produce good clean power. The main difference is that the MEP-003a is an air cooled 4 cylinder diesel, and the 803 is a liquid cooled diesel. Meaning it wants more of a load to prevent wet stacking as liquid cooled engines run cooler than air cooled ones.

And from what I've seen the 803's basically have throw-away electronic parts (voltage regulators) where the 003's have the schematics in the TM's so they can be repaired.

jbk

i have a 801 which is the 5 kw version and i have the 002. the 803 and 003 are the larger counterparts. the 801 and 803 are lister petter engines with electric govenors. these are the latest the military offers and are still in use. i can say the 801 and 803s are very quiet when compared to the 002 and 003 . you can get any engine part you would need direct from lister petter but if you ever need anything else it would be next to impossible not to many of these being surplused yet. ive had the 801 since 06 and used it through 3 hurricaines. i would also like to get the 10 kw version.

steve9257

Great feedback. Thank you. I have an additioal question.

Do you know the number of hours these generators should be good for? I see them anywhere from 30 hours to 5,000 hours. Would you have reservations about purchase one with more than 3,000 hours?

Isaac-1

The gurus over at the smokstak onan generator board generally say the J series engines (which the MEP-002a and MEP-003a are based on) are good for about 5,000 - 10,000 hours before needing to be rebuilt. One of these gurus that worked as an Onan service tech for 30+ years once commented on seeing a diesel J series with 12,000 hours on it still running strong, but keep in mind this was from a person that likely serviced hundreds if not thousands of these units. As to the MEP-803a1 I suspect it will be in the same ballpark, however running conditions and maintenance are likely to much bigger factors on condition than just runtime hours. If it were me I would (and have bought) buy a diesel generator with 3,000 plus hours, if I intended to use it for standby power only, and not for an off grid cabin or such. While this is getting up there on hours, it should still have at least 4 times the running life expectancy of the typical big box store cheap 500 hour life generator maybe much more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks