• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A Gauges

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
It's been a while since I posted anything with you all. I had some open-heart surgery in December. Thankfully everything went well and I'm going to last a few more years it seems.

I just picked up a MEP-803A 10KW unit and a MEP-804A 15KW unit at auction last week. Both of these were listed as "not running" so it was a little bit of a crapshoot. My experience with these "not running" units has been pretty good in the past, so I'm not too concerned about them. I've spoken with the guys who work in the auction yard. They spend very little time on these things to get them to run. They hook up a fuel source, they connect some jumper batteries, and they crank them over. If they don't fire, then they mark them as "not running" and move on to the next unit. I spent some time with the MEP-804A 15KW unit yesterday. As usual it didn't take long for me to get it running. A couple of fresh batteries, a new bung in the fuel tank drain, some clean fuel and filters, some clean oil and filters, prime the fuel system on the Isuzu 4 cylinder engine and it fired right up. Initially I was getting a "low voltage" fault, but I found the lower wire on the quad fuse retrofit was broken off of the spade terminal and that was that. But, interestingly enough there is a volt meter in the M9 wattmeter location on the panel. So there's actually (2) voltmeters on this panel. I found the NSN# 6625-00-003-0975 part# 70-4012 on the TM's. (Thanks Guy!) Oshkosh Equipment had one on hand so I ordered it today. The other problem that I'm having with this unit is the M2 frequency meter isn't working. It looks like a newer gauge, as the face isn't faded or yellow like some of the other gauges. I tried running the machine on 50 hertz and 60 hertz but there's no action on that gauge at all. (Of course I shut the machine off before switching between 50 and 60 hertz) The machine is making power, no problems there. I did mentioned a while back that I use a brine tank to load test these wonderful machines. I found this method to work very well and I can bring these machines up to 110% of their rated capacity simply by lowering the rods further down into the brine tank. I can also load test in 3 phase to check the entire power head. This unit was running very well yesterday and it was producing good power. I'm just wondering if the voltage meter that's located in the M9 wattmeter location could be causing issues on the frequency meter? I have a couple of different Fluke meters here and I'm sure that I can measure hertz with one of them. Can I disconnect the frequency meter and measure hertz at that point with the machine running? I have had to replace the variable resistors R1 and R2 on a couple of different 15KW units because someone "dicked" them by turning them too far. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. Thanks as always for the expert help!
IMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks