• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A won't start

maddios

Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the woodward governor controller. I basically ran 24v straight from battery right to the controller, installed a new MPU (just in case) and monitored VAC on the ACT output, it would slooowly climb from 13.7VAC to about 14.4VAC and hold there for a while, then machine randomly shuts down with ACT volts going to 0.

I'd immediately attempt to restart without powering the woodward down and it would crank like normal and no start with ACT showing 0 vac and MPU showing about 2.4VAC (the new mpu reads a bit lower fully in but made zero difference). I'd give it a good long crank (5 seconds) about 2-3x and then it'll randomly start up.

Seems like something in the governor is glitching and it's randomly cutting the fuel solenoid out.

I'll attempt to go through the solder joints, maybe replace the power transistors at the top and try it again, or just try to retrofit some other aftermarket controller.

maddios

Couple questions regarding retrofit, do you guys know how many ohms the HZ adjustment knob is and what's the operating frequency of the MPU (how many teeth on the flywheel)?

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks