• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804A Won't Start

SLTRAM98

In the diagram sent by GUFANG, you should remove the cover plate 53 on the side of the pump. The fuel shut off rack is stuck shut and if the plungers under the injector ports were stuck, then the cam likely damaged them. Do not remove the injection pump, since then you will have to retime the pump/engine. Open the side of the pump (plate 53), get brake cleaner, and de'laquer the inside of the pump, the rack will move with your finger tips once its freed up. Brake cleaner works the best from my experience.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is an option. But the problem I would have with it is that if the lacquer is there, you have it everywhere in the IP. So I would time the engine, remove the IP, and soak it a few days. If you do not move the IP, and simply replace it again. then the engine should start, if that was the problem.

hawk-aggie

In the diagram sent by GUFANG, you should remove the cover plate 53 on the side of the pump. The fuel shut off rack is stuck shut and if the plungers under the injector ports were stuck, then the cam likely damaged them. Do not remove the injection pump, since then you will have to retime the pump/engine. Open the side of the pump (plate 53), get brake cleaner, and de'laquer the inside of the pump, the rack will move with your finger tips once its freed up. Brake cleaner works the best from my experience.
Removed the cover (53) and the inner workings are clean as a whistle. Sprayed with brake cleaner and Kroil. Since those fluids will likely get further into the IP, I'll spray with oil, let that soak, then change the oil and filter after the unit runs a bit.

Before resorting to pulling the IP, I'm considering removing the plunger caps and seeing what's going on with each plunger. More tips and thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

hawk-aggie

Update: Removed the plunger caps. The plungers were a little sticky. Got them cleaned up. However, the main issue still appears to be that the rack is solidly stuck. I'm not confident that any amount of soaking is going to resolve the issue. I will leave the IP as-is for a couple of days, and move to another project in anticipation of more advice/tips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks